News:

Typical Bank Holiday weather ... 

Main Menu

SWEB

Started by whitehillbilly64, May 19, 2024, 10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitehillbilly64

Just found this Photo of the Old man in July 1971. His Linesman Co worker on his shoulder.
He was a driver on the South Western Electricity Board and drove many land rovers including pole carrier trailers. The land rover probably similar to the one in the article, but in S2 form.
I worked as a Linesman but had moved to S3's during my time then onto the New 110's.
I am not sure if the Early S2's were the One Tons, as the later S3's?
Looking at the Tyres, probably 900's
With the heavy wooden ladders on the roof the seals leaked. I can remember driving in heavy rain with a full set of waterproofs on, Inside!

whitehillbilly

whitehillbilly64

After posting that message, I had a call from the other Apprentice Linesman I started on SWEB with 42 years ago.
At 63 he had just done his final day and retired. He opted for his pension as a payout.
We reminisced a few stories from days long passed.

whitehillbilly

NoBeardNoTopKnot

I smile at the knotted-hanky. Love it. Not seen that done for years, somehow it shows a wit long since gone.

Dopey

Knotted-hanky, and hand made paper hats, my dad had a café right next door to a printers, they taught me how to make the hats

22900013A

This is really interesting as the leccy landies are a bit of an interest of mine. I've long suspected that SWEB did have a handful of 1 Tons but never been able to prove with any certainly. The few photos I have are all 3/4 ton vehicles, as are the couple of survivors I know of. SEB had most of the 1 Tons produced. Yours certainly does appear to show a 900x16 Dunlop on the bonnet.
I have some photos of the pole carrier artic 88", and an artic 109" on 900x16s which is a bit too early to be a production 1 Ton, I'll try post them.

22900013A

88" pole carrier artic.

22900013A

109" on 900x16s used as a drum trailer.
The first production 1 Tons were very late IIAs, there were no series 2 1 Tons. All had lamps in wings and mesh grilles. I suspect SWEB did have a few as some DBG vehicles were dispatched to the dealer im Bristol.

900x16 tyres were an option on 109"s from the early 1960s but nothing else was changed on the vehicle. The one in these photos was a four cylinder petrol. All production 1 Tons were six cylinders. (Aside from 22 TACR1s for the military).

22900013A

Looking again at your photo I can't see the bonnet side catches I'd expect to see, although the only possible ex-Sweb one I know of didn't have them either. Unfortunately the photo is too dark for me to really get a sense of the tyre size, and most of the wheels are cropped out. It might be one but I'm not 100% certain.

Looking from home on the PC - the vehicle does appear to be a IIA going by the door hinge, but they look like 7.50x16 tyres to me.

22900013A

BradfordS2

Are there any more or better photos of the  artic Land Rovers?

I wouldn't mind having a go at modelling one.

Old Hywel

Quote from: BradfordS2 on May 20, 2024, 10:22 PMAre there any more or better photos of the  artic Land Rovers?

I wouldn't mind having a go at modelling one.

Or better still, build one.😊

22900013A

They are screengrabs off a youtube video, not aware of any proper photos. I can't find the video just now.

A slightly earlier vehicle is in this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJzz8aU3Ztw

biloxi

From the book Land Rover the unbeatable 4x4 by K&J Slavin and GN Mackie.
.W,
Special pole carrying trailer for off the road use.

22900013A

That could well be the same vehicle in the video.

whitehillbilly64