Started by whitehillbilly64, May 19, 2024, 10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

22900013A

That link doesn't seem to work?

whitehillbilly64

It is our facebook market place.

whitehillbilly

22900013A

I just get a message saying product unavailable.

Old Hywel

I get our local version.

whitehillbilly64

About this vehicle
Driven 12,345 km
Manual transmission
Exterior color: Green ยท Interior color: Green
Seller's description
Land Rover Series 2a ex Sydney electricity so has provenance
Runs and should drive just the hydraulic brakes and clutch need att
Body has amazing patina with original paint work
Has some rust in the firewall and chassis repair sections are available.

whitehillbilly64

whitehillbilly

gatekrash

Quote from: whitehillbilly64 on May 19, 2024, 10:11 PMJust found this Photo of the Old man in July 1971. His Linesman Co worker on his shoulder.
He was a driver on the South Western Electricity Board and drove many land rovers including pole carrier trailers. The land rover probably similar to the one in the article, but in S2 form.
I worked as a Linesman but had moved to S3's during my time then onto the New 110's.
I am not sure if the Early S2's were the One Tons, as the later S3's?
Looking at the Tyres, probably 900's
With the heavy wooden ladders on the roof the seals leaked. I can remember driving in heavy rain with a full set of waterproofs on, Inside!

whitehillbilly

Which part of the world were you ?  I was on IT for SWEB (started in 1988) for over 30 years, spent quite a lot of time at Elliot Road depot in Plymouth and occasionally used to pop down to the garages to drool over the landies. Probably after your time, but I did know some of the linesmen from there and some of our initial IT training was at the Taunton Training centre where I have recollections of 6 foot high poles set up in the grounds so they could train the apprentices without them needing to be at the top of a 20 foot one !

22900013A

The training poles at Taunton are now full 11M ones!

whitehillbilly64

I was in Bude.
So Bideford/Barnstaple district.
I did my Training at Taunton in April 82.
I was Chosen through Local, county and national interviews in London to represent the Electricity Council of GB on Operation Raleigh. Then had to pass the OR selection weekend, hence why I ended up living in Australia.
I was the Mad idiot who sat up a pole for 48hrs in Bude for a fund raiser and a Hurricane hit me. I stayed up and made local/ national News and Radio the next day.

whitehillbilly

22900013A

Fair play, I used to get fed up after an hour or so up a pole, but we used spurs, not swedish climbers...might explain the discomfort. On underground cables now but still occasionally climb.

What's Operation Raleigh?

diffwhine

Operation Raleigh was a charity based in London which took volunteers on overseas projects. Now called Raleigh International and still running. I used to supply them with Land Rovers and do driver training for them. Started off in the 1970s as Drake by the King and John Bashford-Snell.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

gatekrash

Quote from: 22900013A on May 22, 2024, 07:30 PMThe training poles at Taunton are now full 11M ones!

I'm surprised TTC still exists !

When the company was split and WPD took one side and LE / EDF the other I ended up on the EDF side of things. I was a bit pee-d off with that because all of my IT development had been done on the engineering side, mainly in assembler language (showing my age). I wrote the Fault Management system which tracked faults and worked out how much of the network was affected if a particular substation went off, it used to do things like track auto-reclosures so they knew how long before something needed maintenance. It meant I spent a lot of time at Exeter control room and understood all the intricacies of the LV mapping system, but the very last project I worked on was more customer based, so they pushed me over the "wrong" side !