News:

Plans are available ... 

Main Menu

track rod ends - which ones

Started by DickB, May 21, 2024, 08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wittsend

If you haven't got the "feel" or experience then these tables will help you....

DickB

Thanks for all the input. I have a torque wrench  - dug it out and adjusted all so at least the nuts are all evenly torqued. The clamps had to wound quite tight in order to grip the rods and to stop them turning.

What are the possible scenarios if everything is over tight (as in the TRE nuts)? Obvious if not tight enough, I guess!!

cswagon

I thought the TREs were 30 lb/ft.
1971 Ser 11A 109 SW (flat packed) (now being driven daily)                                                         

1972 Ser 111 109 van (daily driver)...SOLD

Saga lout.

Wittsend

Yes - that's for the nut on the end, nyloc or castellated with split pin.

We are discussing here the track rod end clamps at 10 lbs ft.

:RHD

cswagon

Sorry, someone back there mentioned the TRE nuts and I got confused.
Easily done when you're in a hurry and don't read the posts fully. :confused
1971 Ser 11A 109 SW (flat packed) (now being driven daily)                                                         

1972 Ser 111 109 van (daily driver)...SOLD

Saga lout.

Sunny Jim

I fitted a replacement early type track rod to mine at the last rebuild, and it came fully threaded, so needed the later type ends. I you buy an NOS track rod, you need to check which type it is.

I have now fitted Lemforder ends to the track rod, as the ones I fitted (Bearmach) first didn't last long, and their replacements (Delphi I think) were not much better! The shouldered ones on the other two rods have been fine since 2007 - I just packed them with grease before fitting!

Sunny Jim

Clifford Pope

Quote from: Craig T on May 21, 2024, 09:35 AMInstalling the fully threaded TRE's into the part threaded rods is a bad thing to do as the number of threads engaged is reduced and they can pull out the end of the tubes.

Craig.

That surely depends on the actual total length of the rod in each case? If the length is the same, but earlier ones are only partly threaded, then the number of threads engaged is bound to be less than with the later fully-threaded type. That perhaps was a reason for the changeover?
The point surely is that the clamp on a partly-threaded tube will not clamp properly on the threads of a fully-threaded TRE, because it is intended for the slightly larger diameter of the shouldered TRE?