News:

Plans are available ... 

Main Menu

Articulated Land Rovers

Started by BradfordS2, May 21, 2024, 09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradfordS2

Following on from the SWEB thread I'm interested in the articulated Land Rovers used by the various Electricity Boards in the UK.

I would like to have a go at modelling one in 1/24 scale as it's something a little different.

Were these vehicles converted by Land Rover themselves or an outside company? I've found some information on Dixon-Bate conversions. Would these have been the ones used by the Electricity companies?

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

Twomokes

The ones used in the company's publicity in period were Dixon Bates conversations as in the screen grabs above.
The old days are the old days only because there're gone and won't be back.

autorover1

Land Rover used some 5th wheel 88" vehicles in the factory for moving round trailers with, I think,  body panels . When the 90 came out they had a similar set up but with the Boge Hydrostrut from the One Ten on the rear A frame . I am not sure if the 88" was a Dixon Bate or in house LR job. 

BradfordS2

Quote from: autorover1 on May 21, 2024, 11:09 AMLand Rover used some 5th wheel 88" vehicles in the factory for moving round trailers with, I think,  body panels . When the 90 came out they had a similar set up but with the Boge Hydrostrut from the One Ten on the rear A frame . I am not sure if the 88" was a Dixon Bate or in house LR job. 

Interesting, do any pictures exist of these vehicles?

BradfordS2

Quote from: Twomokes on May 21, 2024, 09:52 AMThe ones used in the company's publicity in period were Dixon Bates conversations as in the screen grabs above.

The Dixon-Bate ones appear all to be 88", the Electricity Board ones look to be 109" with 9.00x16 tyres. I wonder if they were made in house or Dixon-Bate.

22900013A

The conversions were by Dixon bate, on an 88" which would have been supplied as a chassis cab.
Not so sure on the 109" conversion as there are no clear images of it, but again it would have been a factory chassis cab.
These were not exclusive to electricity boards, in fact aside from the two in the photos I've not seen any others.

autorover1

Quote from: BradfordS2 on May 21, 2024, 11:25 AM
Quote from: autorover1 on May 21, 2024, 11:09 AMLand Rover used some 5th wheel 88" vehicles in the factory for moving round trailers with, I think,  body panels . When the 90 came out they had a similar set up but with the Boge Hydrostrut from the One Ten on the rear A frame . I am not sure if the 88" was a Dixon Bate or in house LR job. 

Interesting, do any pictures exist of these vehicles?
I have not seen any press pictures and I  was not allowed to take a camera to work & it was before the mobile phone

BradfordS2

I wonder if this was one of the factory ones, probably more likely to be publicity fleet?

22900013A

YYJ is not a registration sequence used by the factory that I'm aware of.

BradfordS2

No it's not a Birmingham area registration. I think it's YVJ which is Hereford.

22900013A

So won't be company press fleet then. Local dealer perhaps?

Sunny Jim

One from Guernsey - a copy of a photograph at the 'Cup and Saucer' fort.

Sunny Jim

w3526602

Hi,

Most small trailers use over-run brakes, which might be slightly difficult with an articulated trailer, so suggests "coupled brakes".

Hmmm! Does that mean there is a loophole in the "Substationally Altered Vehicle" regulations, that permits alterations that have already been implemented a specific number of years ago, thus avoiding an SVA/IVA?

I hope that somebody here will know what I'm chuntering on about?

autorover1

3 line air brakes according to the LR conversions catalogue. Presumably if it is converted before registration , its not a substantially altered  within the regs., but that is what happens when subsequent rule changes  have unintended consequences! 

w3526602

Hi,

I ought to know, but I'll ask anyway.

Can an articulated vehicle be driven on a regular UK driving licence?

Just something that might be lurking at the back of my mind ... or might not.