News:

Plans are available ... 

Main Menu

Chassis and vehicle identification

Started by Ian F, May 24, 2024, 06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian F

This is more of an observation than anything directly to do with Series Land Rovers.
There has been much discussion and hand wringing about replacement chassis for our Series 2s. 
I thought I should throw in the fact (as far as I am aware) that, for example, Triumph TR chassis have no identifying numbers stamped on them. The vehicle identity is given by a plate rivetted (?) on the body bulkhead. At least this was the case with my 1954 TR2.
So how this affects the definitive vehicle identity I am not sure.

Ian F

Archie

IAN (were you known as The Fonz at Methil? If so, I briefly worked with you.)😁

The true ID of the vehicle is the VIN.
In modern vehicles, this is confirmed ONLY as the STAMPED VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) on the chassis. NOT a Visible VIN, or VIN Plate.

As the S2 only has the VIN plate (on the bulkhead) this is the only True ID.

I assume that if you move this plate to a new bulkhead and / or chassis, the vehicle ID moves with it, providing that a substantial amount of the vehicle remains original.

Once this is confirmed, you could probably change everything on the vehicle and still have an 'original'

Time for the 'comments'.........
Archie

simonbav

Archie, how well do you know your way around a S2? The chassis number which you refer to as a VIN is stamped on the o/s dumb iron and is replicated on the tin plate screwed to the bulkhead. Minor variations in other Series vehicles.
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

nathanglasgow

VIN numbers were introduced long after S2 production ended. Chassis numbers are what S2 have stamped on the O/S dumbiron and screw on bulkhead plate

diffwhine

I think its easy to get fixated by this, but fundamentally, the chassis number as stamped on the chassis frame is in effect the vehicle's identification number. By that I mean that it is the unique identifying number that the relevant authorities use to identify that specific vehicle. Whether its called a VIN following the standardised introduction of the 17 digit sequence in 1979 or manufacturers' own format "chassis" numbers prior to that is largely an irrelevance.

IanF does make an interesting point though. Did all manufacturers stamp the number on the chassis? Is there a chassis number stamped into the frames on post war Rovers for example?

Historically, with all chassis built Land Rovers, we look to the chassis frame for the definitive number as Rover have always stamped it there. Apart from a few Series Ones and some overseas later production vehicles, the chassis number / VIN has always been stamped on the RHF chassis leg (it even still is on the Grenadier!). The chassis plate being a screw on affair should only be regarded as a secondary information source - much like the VIN plate on the pedal boxes of L316 Defenders. The windscreen "visible VIN" came in for 1995 MY and is deemed acceptable by DVLA for initial verification purposes as the plate is attached to the windscreen frame or dash assembly by security fixings and cannot be removed easily with out quite some invasive activity.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Ian F

Archie - sorry, never worked at Methil

Ian F