News:

Plans are available ... 

Main Menu

A Stamp With Your Land Rover

Started by Beowulf, May 25, 2024, 07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beowulf

I`ve been reminded of a time when we attached a postage stamp to receipts when selling a car. I remember doing so, even though I`ve never known the reason, so I looked for its origin online.

Introduced in 1694, Stamp Duty raised revenue by taxing written documents, called the Revenue Stamp, it indicated the payment of the tax. Later, with the introduction of Postage Stamps, they to, became acceptable for receipts over £2. This law was abolished in 1971, which was before I bought my first car, so clearly the practice hung around for a time, which is why I remember giving and getting them.

Like so many other day-to-day words and phrases, I wonder how many people know where this one comes from, Stamp Duty, every days a school day  :teacher

Are there any other oldies here who remember selling or buying a Land Rover with these stamps attached to the receipt?

https://camptonfamily.uk/receipts-postage-stamps/
Fred
2A Or Not 2A, That Is The Question ~ William Shakespeare

Alan Drover

I bought my first car in 1965 and don't recall it. Whether I got a receipt or not I can't remember. I just remember when cheques had 2d (proper money) duty on them.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"