News:

Plans are available ...  Genesis 6:19

Main Menu

2A gearbox

Started by s2c-08616, May 26, 2024, 11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s2c-08616

The gearbox in Jessac (1964) looks like a dogs breakfast. Rest of the mechanicals have been rebuilt / refurb'd, but the PO knows nothing of the gearbox history. I'm thinking no point in building the rest of the truck without refurbing it. What is the gearbox type?  Rebuild by a professional, or buy a refurbished one?  Any contacts, suggestions, advice. Transfer box also.
Jessie - 1964 SWB 2A.

diffwhine

Is the gearbox original to the vehicle? Any chance of a number? There are a number of gearbox refurbishment companies out there. Quality parts are increasingly becoming an issue though, so watch out...

I have rebuilt quite a few boxes for S2C members as I do it as a bit of a hobby. Somewhat of a busman's holiday given when I'm supposed to do for a living, but if you want one rebuilt, I can do one for you. I've got two here stripped and cleaned and waiting for rebuild and two waiting to be rebuilt. All are about the same age as your vehicle.
Drop me a pm if you are interested and want to discuss, but it would be easy to build one and bung it on a pallet and send up to you. I don't need the old one back as I'm drowning under gearboxes at the moment!
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

s2c-08616

I'll check the gearbox number and revert. What's the cost of a refurbished box and transfer box please?  New to the forum so not quite familiar with the protocol. Can you pm me, or is this ok on an open forum?
Jessie - 1964 SWB 2A.

diffwhine

Best drop me a PM with your email address and we can discuss if you want to explore that option.

If its still got its original Series 2/2A gearbox, the number should be stamped on the side of the top selector cover. Ignore any casting numbers etc. A photo of the current incumbent would be useful.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

s2c-08616

Been away few days. Talk later. Very interesting
Jessie - 1964 SWB 2A.