News:

Plans are available ...  Genesis 6:19

Main Menu

Wheel nuts and studs

Started by Surveyme, May 26, 2024, 03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surveyme

Hello
As a newbie to this, I've just bought a series 2a who's build date always 4/12/61 (88"wb).
I have a number of jobs to do to get it running on the road but it starts and has had a galvanised chassis already.
Of concern to me firstly though is one of the wheel studs is too short and I have two different types of nuts (domed both sides on three wheels and flat one side and domed on the other on one wheel.  I don't know which is original?
Can any help me understand what's right?
Thanks

diffwhine

The double ended nut would be more period correct, but you have a number of options. The double ended nut is longer than the stud, so always raises queries from people who aren't aware of it (including MOT testers). You can have a single sided nut of the same size, or you can go to the later format which gives you a larger wheel nut but same thread. Less risk of pull through on an old knackered rim.
The following table might help:

You cannot view this attachment.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

island dormy

Hi

My 62  ( with the locking hubs pics 013 and 004) has the correct double ended nuts and yes as Diffwhine says you will always have folks telling you your wheel nuts are on backwards (or not on far enough). The nut is slightly longer than the stud.

On my 69 the nut is only tapered on one end (like most other vehicles) and slightly shorter than the stud so some thread sticks out past the nut.

Victor
1962 Dormobile in the family since 1964
1969 NADA Dormobile 2.6L #800 out of 811 NADAS built

Surveyme

Thanks for the help and comments.  Most useful.  The stud I believe is actually shorter because it has been cut or damaged somehow.  It is much shorter than the rest on the wheel!  So needing to know if it can be replaced or do I need more drastic action?
I understand the comment on the slightly different nut dimensions leading to either the stud showing through or being within them (depending on whether they are flat or double domed).  And believe now with your help I should replace the flat nuts with more period nuts.

Birdsnest55

One other thought here.
It may be a S3 hub and metric thread so you will not to be able to use the old style nuts.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

nathanglasgow

Chances are the old peened in stud has at some point failed and a new spline stud pressed in without counterboring a recess on the back of the hub thus stud will have less protruding.

gcc130

Quote from: diffwhine on May 26, 2024, 04:43 PMThe double ended nut would be more period correct, but you have a number of options. The double ended nut is longer than the stud, so always raises queries from people who aren't aware of it (including MOT testers). You can have a single sided nut of the same size, or you can go to the later format which gives you a larger wheel nut but same thread. Less risk of pull through on an old knackered rim.
The following table might help:

You cannot view this attachment.

I'm not quite sure that table is correct as I understood military series 1's used the single taper type and civilian ones used double tape.
I may well be wrong...

diffwhine

You may well be right. This gives a good indication though of what should be there.

I wish I knew who to credit that table to - I think it was a S2C member in days past.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

w3526602

Hi.

S3 wheel studs are splined, and pushed in from the the other side. They are 16M.

I believe S2A are also splined and pushed in from the side. They  are 9/16" BSF.

... my girls have arrived, and are demanding my presence. I will return shortly.

w3526602

Hi.

Just re-read my mail above. I got something wrong.

S2 could use 15/16"AF sockets S2a could use 1.1/16"AF sockets, and S3 needed 16M sockets.

I'm happy to be corrected.

Surveyme

Wow - you chaps really know your stuff!  Feeling a little overwhelmed with this as a newbie (not that I'm complaining!). Thanks to everyone for your help.  I hope I get the hang of this - feel like the new boy at school! Oh well ... 😂

Old Hywel

Just to confuse matters, a couple of the above postings contain duff info.
Please disregard, or you'll be confused at the very least.

nathanglasgow

Which ones contain duff information? 602s?

Craig T

The later M16 threads need a 27mm socket to fit the nuts.

My April 1967 IIA has the smaller BSF threads and single tapered nuts. Not sure what size they are across flats. Pretty sure the studs are screw in ones.

Craig.

nathanglasgow

Yup, screwed in and peened to secure. It's when the nuts are over tightened then when undone it winds out the stud thus wrecking the threads. That's when folks fit the press in spline studs.