News:

Summer is here ...   

Main Menu

Badges and Plates?

Started by Seanlandy, May 27, 2024, 05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seanlandy

I might be in the middle of rebuilding my steering box etc, but my mind keeps wandering to the fact that my 2a LW has no badges or plates of any type, either externally or internally. I see there are a variety of options for the Land Rover ovals and also a few indicating gear usage and also the plate which gives the  details as attached to the seat box and bulkhead. Non of which are on mine. Are there set ones I should be looking to acquire for my 1969 model, or replacements for missing ones. As I say, not a major thing, but it keeps my little mind from wandering too far of the subject of Landies.

gcc130

I think by '69 the two external badges should be Solihull ones, I may have some, I'll have a look.

diffwhine

Correct - they were Solihull ones.
You also had a standard chassis plate, a contract plate (on the bulkhead, not the seatbox) and the usual tyre wear and 4WD action plates.

I will see if I can find the pictures from my vehicle from the same contract, but if not, space-kook should have some pictures.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Space-Kook

Can't remember where I found it, may have been farcebook, but here's a doc with examples for very early 2a lightweights in GS and FFR.
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT

Seanlandy

Brill. Thanks chaps. I know they are small details, but might as well begin to collect them.

gcc130

These are the Solihull plates I have.
I'll dig deeper, I may have a tyre wear plate too.

Seanlandy

Great thanks. Let me know how the deep dig goes, please.

gcc130

I've found a tyre wear plate

gcc130

Another picture for Seanlandy, but I think this may be for a series 3 as it doesn't have the slot for the chassis no. to be stamped.

Wittsend

The correct chassis and tyre wear plates are available from the club website at reasonable prices.

:RHD

Craig T

Quote from: gcc130 on Jun 10, 2024, 08:41 PMAnother picture for Seanlandy, but I think this may be for a series 3 as it doesn't have the slot for the chassis no. to be stamped.

That is indeed a series 3 plate.
The series three had two full size plates like that. The one with the chassis number got lots of weight data added to the bottom of it so the gear change information got moved to the top of the 4 wheel drive warning.

No idea what lightweights got though, never looked at one in detail.

Craig.

gcc130

Space-Kook

Here is what my 68' came with.
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT

Craig T

I wouldn't have thought that centre plate was correct for a 68 vehicle as it repeats all the gear change data from the other plate but, maybe it was correct on a lightweight?

Craig.

diffwhine

I think you are right Craig.
I've just found some very early pictures of Space-Kook's LWT as I originally found it. I'm pretty sure that these badge locations and styles are original and correct and therefore the same for others supplied under that very early MOD contract.

The contract plate went on the dash to the right hand side of the steering column on this contract.
The Chassis plate sat below the passenger grab handle on the dash and below it sat the old style tyre wear plate.

I have a feeling that the S3 style plate may have got in with all the stuff when I passed the vehicle on to Space-Kook and should be considered to be an interloper.

You cannot view this attachment.

1965 2A 88" Station Wagon