News:

Get ready for the heat wave  ...

Main Menu

What you did with your Series 2 in June

Started by Wittsend, May 31, 2024, 11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam1958

Much heat makes light work. 😉😂 except, don't lean your best wooden sliding bevel against the red hot metal... oooops. 🥴

cswagon

Quote from: Gareth on Jun 03, 2024, 09:22 PMVery satisfied to get this out!

That is very impressive when I think about how I eventually managed to remove mine from a bare rolling
chassis using a lorry strap, 3 ton trolley jack, 4lb lump hammer and a lot of obscene language.
Luckily I don't have any close neighbours but it definitely put up a good fight.
1971 Ser 11A 109 SW (flat packed) (now being driven daily)                                                         

1972 Ser 111 109 van (daily driver)...SOLD

Saga lout.

Gareth

Quote from: cswagon on Jun 04, 2024, 08:01 PM
Quote from: Gareth on Jun 03, 2024, 09:22 PMVery satisfied to get this out!

That is very impressive when I think about how I eventually managed to remove mine from a bare rolling
chassis using a lorry strap, 3 ton trolley jack, 4lb lump hammer and a lot of obscene language.
Luckily I don't have any close neighbours but it definitely put up a good fight.

Well, I think I had it easy. Mine was fitted to the Marsland, galvanised chassis when it was last rebuilt in 2003. So whilst it was stuck fast, it was probably due to being wedged with solidified mud rather than rust. I had a steel tube on a trolley Jack, with both front wheels in the air on the tube. I gave it a whack from the front with a lump hammer and a cold chisel, and the car dropped away from the relay.

The hardest bit was getting the bolts out which had been fitted from the front before the front panel was fitted. I ended up cutting them with a dremel and driving the remains through to the rear.

cswagon

Snap, exactly same method.
After these small straps broke for the umpteenth time I used lorry ones and that made the difference.
It was a nice feeling when it gave up and came out though.
1971 Ser 11A 109 SW (flat packed) (now being driven daily)                                                         

1972 Ser 111 109 van (daily driver)...SOLD

Saga lout.

andyjb

Another pass on the mot. Advisory for an oil leak.

Alan Drover

Checked gearbox and transfer box oil levels and both need topping up.
When Ant Anstead did it on a Series 3 in a recent episode of Wheeler Dealers he had the luxury of a lift and a pump on the oil container. I have neither so it's grovelling underneath with an oil suction gun and a container of EP90. A quick blast of brake/ clutch cleaner revealed the rear diff filler plug.
I have a multi tool for undoing the level plugs but with the gearbox one being where it is I can't get enough room but a 1/2 AF open ended spanner is a perfect fit.
This is a job for tomorrow 9th all being well.
Now time to get "hyped up" to do it.!
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Space-Kook

Cleaned up and painted the spare wheel.
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT

Phil2014

Borders area rep.

Alan Drover

All oil levels now topped up.
I left the 5 litre EP90 can put in the "meteorological summer" sunshine this morning and it made a difference as I noticed when I topped it up with the oil gun.from the 25 litre drum which had been in a shed.
Cleared the inevitable oil drips with cat litter, very effective.
I reckon there should be a fragrance purely for Series owners, "Eau d'EP90. It certainly lingers.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

simonbav

Quote from: Alan Drover on Jun 09, 2024, 10:59 AMAll oil levels now topped up.
I left the 5 litre EP90 can put in the "meteorological summer" sunshine this morning and it made a difference as I noticed when I topped it up with the oil gun.from the 25 litre drum which had been in a shed.
I reckon there should be a fragrance purely for Series owners, "Eau d'EP90. It certainly lingers.

It stinketh!
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Alan Drover

Quote from: simonbav on Jun 09, 2024, 12:07 PM
Quote from: Alan Drover on Jun 09, 2024, 10:59 AMAll oil levels now topped up.

It stinketh!
An honest working aroma, like silage.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Alan Drover

Just realised idiot here forgot the overdrive but at least I don't have to grovel underneath.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Space-Kook

Had a good go with the airgun on the door handles getting out the grime and finished with some fresh grease.
They open and close beautifully now.
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT

simonbav

Lots of little jobs yesterday and today on my 88. I'd lost the steering column to bulkhead bracket and the lower half of the driver's door hinge ages ago. Both turned up yesterday in a dried up pot of an experimental eco rust remover I'd tried and forgot about because it was taking so long, (though ultimately effective).

I wired wheeled both, primed and under coated the door hinge half and did the bracket in satin zinc black. I fitted the bracket (that was a puzzle) then realised I needed to finish/fit the steering column seal first so I painted a second undercoat and top coat on the bulkhead seal plate and a top coat on the vertical gearbox cover while had the brush wet.

I fitted the overdrive actuating rod and lever and removed and wirewheeled the transfer box inspection lid and painted it two coats of zinc-black.

I made a new passenger side floor of 2mm ali and etch primed it. I treated the surface rust on the bulkhead where the choke and heater switch panel go ready for painting and panel installation; I fitted the overhauled choke mechanism to the panel yesterday.

I wire-wheeled and zinc-primed the outer driver's seat squab rail prior to repair.

I got two undercoats onto the zinc primer on the top of the bulkhead where the windscreen sits. I fitted the windscreen and  left it folded forwards. I fitted the sun visors to the windscreen to keep them safe and handy.

I topped up the clutch fluid and will investigate the long pedal travel in due course.

I fitted the yank handle to the passenger door and finally, I had a go removing the P/O's blowover coat of matt black on the cab interior with standard thinners and had time for a pint at the end.
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

jeichhorst

Fitted a soft top on my 67 2a. I made my own hood sticks and frame without actually ever seeing a set or having measurements. So I was little worried about fit. Turned out quite good....so a little relieved. I have a hardtop with a full door and since I couldn't find any used tailgates I made my own this past winter.
It's plenty good enough to keep cargo from flying out or to keep my dog in the back !

Jeff