News:

Get ready for the heat wave  ...

Main Menu

What you did with your Series 2 in June

Started by Wittsend, May 31, 2024, 11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Drover

Broke a half shaft trying to tow a van with collapsed nearside front suspension on to a car trailer. I didn't overstress anything so I wonder if the shaft was already on its way out. New pair will be ordered tomorrow, might as well get  both replaced. I'm a bit getting on now to lift diffs in confined spaces.
At least everything is available. It's just a confounded inconvenience .
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

diffwhine

Multi spline or 10 spline? Let me know as I may well have what you want here. In fact I've probably got everything you need to sort that here.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Alan Drover

"Ça plane pour moi!"

Craig T

Any sort of towing or anything out of the ordinary for that matter, use 4 wheel drive or low ratio for the job. It splits the load over both axles so less chance of breaking rear half shafts.

I have to reverse my 109 up a short slope into the garage and I always use low ratio. It also keeps the various shafts moving and spreads the oil around a bit which is no bad thing.

Craig.

Alan Drover

I was using 4wd low ratio because I was on grass but when I went back into 2wd after I'd finished (given up because no way would the van move) bang went the half shaft.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Youngun

Having just been told I'm being made redundant in mid August and after deep contemplation come to the conclusion I'm going to have to let "Flos" the 1960 SW go  :'(

Neal

Alan Drover

Overdrive and steering box oil levels checked now ok
Diffwhine very kindly delivered all the parts necessary for the half shaft replacement this morning and for a very reasonable price. The half shafts are genuine Land Rover ones, not the soft cheese aftermarket ones available. Grounded now until Ian can fit them next week. I've been advised to drive in front wheel drive only as little as possible so dog walks etc cancelled until rear wheel drive restored.
Grateful thanks Mark.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

gcc130

Poor pooch!
I'm my experience the Paddocks half shafts last just as well as genuine ones.

Archie

Quote from: Youngun on Jun 11, 2024, 08:22 PMHaving just been told I'm being made redundant in mid August and after deep contemplation come to the conclusion I'm going to have to let "Flos" the 1960 SW go  :'(

Neal

Oh no, mate.
Let's hope you find a good home for her.

Maybe someone on the forum?
Archie

Alan Drover

Quote from: gcc130 on Jun 12, 2024, 11:07 AMPoor pooch
Quote from: gcc130 on Jun 12, 2024, 11:07 AMPoor pooch!
He'll still go to the pub at the weekend as I always walk the mile and a bit there and back.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

gromet

I've been getting dry dirt all over me as I've been replacing the rear cross floor support  :cool
swb truck cab  gromet
swb soft top bumble

Youngun

Quote from: Archie on Jun 12, 2024, 11:22 AM
Quote from: Youngun on Jun 11, 2024, 08:22 PMHaving just been told I'm being made redundant in mid August and after deep contemplation come to the conclusion I'm going to have to let "Flos" the 1960 SW go  :'(

Neal

Oh no, mate.
Let's hope you find a good home for her.

Maybe someone on the forum?

If there's no other alternative to letting her go, I would only sell her to someone here just so I know she's in good hands

Neal

Alan Drover

Half shaft replacement next Tuesday (18th June). I'm getting withdrawal symptoms of not being able to drive the Land Rover but I won't go against advice.  I just have to drive it 4 miles to Ian on Tuesday.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Peter Holden

Nephew broke a half shaft on his S2 towing an Atkinson 8 wheeler that his pal Tom Ding ( a S2 club member) has bought for restoration

Peter

Alan Drover

I certainly will NOT be doing anything ever again like on Monday 10th June which broke my halfshaft and will NOT help again the so called " mate" who hasn't bothered to contact me since!
"Ça plane pour moi!"