News:

Get ready for the heat wave  ...

Main Menu

What you did with your Series 2 in June

Started by Wittsend, May 31, 2024, 11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Space-Kook

Got the lightweight packed up to go to Somerset today. It's going to sit in a barn with a bitsa s2 for a couple weeks while we move house.
It's not even gone yet and I'd like it back.
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT

Alan Drover

Nothing. Grounded until next Tuesday and very annoyed!!
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

simonbav

Windscreen rail top coated, bulkhead column seal fitted, steering column bracketry fitted, n/s floor panel u/coated.

I was packing the column bracket o/s with washers before I found the remaining spare part, the two holed spacer. Well, it's been five years since I disassembled my old 88. A bit of ingenuity goes a long way 😄

I wish I'd bought an o/s footwell repair panel with ribs as I did the n/s. The n/s looks so much more authentic. One day I'll cut out the o/s flat section and replace it.
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Countryview

Carried out my first and slightly overdue oil and filter change and upon taking the oil filter casing off, a large piece of paper towel splashed out with the oil obviously left in there by the PO! Hopefully little or none of it made it to the engine.
1959 88" Series 2

diffwhine

Quote from: Space-Kook on Jun 14, 2024, 09:25 AMGot the lightweight packed up to go to Somerset today. It's going to sit in a barn with a bitsa s2 for a couple weeks while we move house.
It's not even gone yet and I'd like it back.

It's on its travels again! It's spent a lot of time on trailers over the past few years! Good luck with the move. When you are settled, let me know - you will be a bit more accessible in Somerset, so easier to help!
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Mike T

Managed to drill the cill rail on the drivers side to take the side step. What a pain to do with the fuel tank in place.
Hopfull the passanger side should be easier.

Littlelegs

Removed the tex magna indicator cleaned it up and freed off the seized wheel. Put it all back together with some anti seize on the bolts. However, I think I'm going to repaint the casing once I work out what colour it should be.

1963 Series 2a 88 petrol

simonbav

Another great day tinkering, painting etc.. I got a second top coat on the driver's bottom door hinge, a second undercoat on the new passenger floor panel; I exchanged the washers for the packing strip behind the steering column bracket, cleaned the splines and fitted the steering wheel, purely for the aesthetic boost. I mended the rotten driver's outer seat rail and put a coat of black zinc on it, possibly ready to fit tomorrow, and welded two c'sunk UNF machine screws into one of the fixing plates for either cill.

Peter Holden

Saturday, went to the tip, the long way round, just so that I could enjoy the drive.  When home squirted the bottom of the steering relay with penetrating oil.  Next job is to jack the frot end up and remove the track control arm so that I can get at it properly.  I will be giving it the penetrating oil treatment regularly ready for making a start on removing the relay

Peter

britrover

Finally retrieved from winter storage from friends garage....great to be driving her again....You cannot view this attachment.

Space-Kook

Gave it a bath, touched up some paint work, gave the rubber mats a thorough scrubbing.
Amazing what tyre dressing can do, they shine almost too much now.

Getting it ready for the Chelsea tractor clubs drive along the Mall on Thursday. Fingers crossed for good weather and I'll take the roof off.
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT

Littlelegs

Removed the steering wheel to clean it a bit and see how badly cracked it is. It was well seized on and took a fair bit of anti seize spray and wiggling plus some gentle tapping to get it off, but at least I didn't smash myself in the face with it.  :RHD. The horn ring dust cover had lots of surface rust but seems solid so will clean that up and paint it.

There's lots of cracks near the spokes front and rear which you can see on the images. It feels very thin as well, and there's not much left of the bumpy profile. I'm not sure whether it's a doable DIY repair or I'll have to look into getting it a professional refurb.
My brother in law is good with resin so I'll see if he thinks a resin repair is possible.
1963 Series 2a 88 petrol

simonbav

I had a more relaxed day on my 88 today. I spoke to a friend four days into the Camino de Santiago and painted a topcoat on my new passenger floor. I rustproofed and primed the red lever's metal shroud and refitted the filler and breather pipes sans a couple of clips; I riveted back down the two rear tub corner cappings which had come free, played around with the clutch master cylinder for a while which activates right at the bottom of the pedal. I reckon the m/c is u/s. Another topcoat on the windscreen bulkhead rail then bolted my repaired o/s driver's seat rail in place.

Finally, I fitted the driver's seat back and thought about the n/s front wing. Does anyone have any ideas why the shelf inset (part 40, bottom panel for wing valance) of the inner wing is iron and not Birmabright?

The other picture is of a recent wren's nest up in my workshed, inhabited by a flustered wren

Old Hywel

Tried unsuccessfully to remove a brake drum. Decided to get serious and concoct a puller. Several hours work, random bits of scrap and some lengths of 16 mm threaded rod produced this.
Apart from needing seven hands to set in position it worked well, releasing the drum with a loud bang and cloud of dust.

Archie

Quote from: Old Hywel on Jun 17, 2024, 07:48 PMTried unsuccessfully to remove a brake drum. Decided to get serious and concoct a puller. Several hours work, random bits of scrap and some lengths of 16 mm threaded rod produced this.
Apart from needing seven hands to set in position it worked well, releasing the drum with a loud bang and cloud of dust.
Get that patented!  :flasher
Archie