News:

Get ready for the heat wave  ...

Main Menu

What you did with your Series 2 in June

Started by Wittsend, May 31, 2024, 11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simonbav

Quote from: Old Hywel on Jun 17, 2024, 07:48 PMTried unsuccessfully to remove a brake drum. Decided to get serious and concoct a puller. Several hours work, random bits of scrap and some lengths of 16 mm threaded rod produced this.
Apart from needing seven hands to set in position it worked well, releasing the drum with a loud bang and cloud of dust.

I love it!!
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Alan Drover

Dropped the Land Rover off with Ian for half shaft replacement. I was still waiting for the bus home when he phoned to say both were intact so it was the diff. It gets worse. No transport now. 
Recon diff ordered from Blanchard's.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Wittsend

Did some local greenlaning in the LWT stripped down - not been out since before Covid.
1st dry day with sunshine for months  :cool

What a star! Starts on the button on 3 yr old petrol, everything worked as it should. Saw some of where the new Northern ring road is going.

Sadly, no pictures.

diffwhine

Quote from: Alan Drover on Jun 18, 2024, 12:39 PMDropped the Land Rover off with Ian for half shaft replacement. I was still waiting for the bus home when he phoned to say both were intact so it was the diff. It gets worse. No transport now. 
Recon diff ordered from Blanchard's.

It's a pity - your timing is dire! I could have sorted you out if I wasn't charging round East Africa on my Grenadier tour.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Alan Drover

Thanks anyway Mark. I've sent a snotty text to the so called "mate" about the expense incurred. No reply as expected.
The halfshafts you supplied will be fitted as a matter of course while it's all apart just in case . If the diff went then it could be that a halfshaft breakage is imminent.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

GHOBHW

yesterday took my 64 over to the new house, now sat in its nice warm garage, no more playing in the rain for me!

today I took the 67 over, then 2 galv chassis afterwards, bumpy roads, potholes 1ft deep and more, all held on tight and didn't move a mm or 0.0393701 of an inch.... :cheers-man

just 100 more trips to go and everything should be moved over, then a few years to sort it all out again :RHD

Alan Drover

I collected the Land Rover today with the replacement diff. It drove much more smoothly but at 30mph it seemed to be going a bit faster, confirmed by a speed monitor sign which showed 33. I reckon it's a 4.3. No problem as 4wd is only on loose surfaces but I'll have to keep the reading below the speed limits. I have found a brand new speedometer with 1376 on it so that'll get fitted sometime which should bring the reading nearer being correct and hopefully the trip meter should work which it doesn't on the present speedometer. It's branded Jaeger unlike the existing one which is a Smiths (same set up, Jaeger being a "posh" Smiths) and it comes with a new voltage stabiliser already fitted.
The recon diff is an ex military one as it arrived in a wooden crate encased in cardboard.
Meanwhile I'll make sure to keep the speedometer needle below the speed limit.
I always felt it was a bit under geared and the 2.5 pulls the higher ratio easily, just a bit more changing down where I could trickle along in top but kinder to the engine and transmission anyway. Of course it won't go up the local 14% hill in top anymore. I wonder how fuel consumption will be affected. It's not overgeared as it will still go up the gently upward sloping drive on tickover in reverse.
As the "rescue" operation I was carrying out was on a hard dry grassy surface with grippy G90's, I wonder if there was transmission wind up which caused the diff to break. Ian's going to see if it's repairable economically.
Labour charge was £80.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Wittsend

You need to be careful and make sure the front and rear diff have the same ratio.

OE ratio is 4.7:1

4.3:1 diffs come from Rover saloon cars.

If you ever do go into 4x4 drive with mismatched diffs it won't end well  :shakinghead

:RHD 

Peter Holden

4.3 diffs are Rover 60 car diffs and quite rare.  Your speedo readings dont match those from a 4.3. If you got it from Blanchards it will be a standard one

Peter

Alan Drover

Well it certainly feels higher geared now and the speedometer reads slow. It's certainly not a 3.54 as that would be really overgeared  unless it is the speedometer. I don't think the overdrive is engaged but I'll check, that's a thought but then it wouldn't affect the speedometer.
Only the diff and halfshafts were changed. I'll change the speedometer and see what happens.
The current speeedometer is a 1406 which at 30 mph used to show 28 on the speed monitor now it shows 33.  A 1376 was supplied by Blanchard's as a replacement for the 1406 but then it wasn't the speedometer that was faulty but the drive which was replaced. As far as I can recall the 1376 was for the Stage 1 V8.
I very rarely use 4wd these days except to check it's working now and again.

"Ça plane pour moi!"

Alan Drover

I've decided to contact Blanchard's tomorrow and see what they say. It's definitely a higher ratio but it was shown as FRC7778 594484R recon 4.7 diff on my order form. They sell new and used ones under the same part number apart from the suffix letter. I'll have to watch my speed now until this is resolved. No good having mismatched ratios but at least I can drive it until sorted.
This recon diff was the only one so I might end up with a used one.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Old Hywel

Highly unlikely for the military to have a stray 4.3 diff, I'd have thought.

Alan Drover

I'm going to start a new topic under Workshop Wisdom about this as it's ongoing.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Space-Kook

Went to the Chelsea tractor club meet last night. Had a great time, lots of lovely series vehicles, everyone loved the mystery machine.

There was a really fantastic series 2 there with the plate "LR S11A", absolutely winning.

Was a bit embarrassed to be associated with some of the CTCs behaviour, honking up and down the Mall and truly terrible parking. When we were all meeting up before the drive a guy in a heavily modded defender and a range rover thought it would be a good idea to triple park on a corner of the very busy road, blocking some rando in.
There wasn't even a shortage of parking.

Got lots of great photos and so glad I took the roof off. It was a brilliant drive even with the traffic.

On the way home we were challenged to a race by some guys in a convertible. They said we had the "rizz" (good), and a bus driver opened his window to chat before honking when the lights changed.

I may be biased but I believe I have the coolest car ever.
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT

diffwhine

I see that the LR S11A vehicle appears to belong to a LR Series 2 Club member. That's great!
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon