News:

Get ready for the heat wave  ...

Main Menu

What you did with your Series 2 in June

Started by Wittsend, May 31, 2024, 11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herald1360

Pity the number plate's not legal(ly spaced)......

Littlelegs

I painted the Tex Magna indicator casing in rustoleum silver hammered finish and put it back together. It'll be apart again to sort the wiring out that a previous owner chopped off.
1963 Series 2a 88 petrol

simonbav

What beautiful weather (York, U.K.). I took full advantage yesterday and today painting and fettling on this quest to a working vehicle. Yesterday involved resetting the bulkhead steering components to lean the bulkhead further backwards for the doors to sit better, and I reset the tub against the rear cross member minus some of the packing pieces I'd put in. Today, ahhh, just finishing off yesterday...
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Oddjob

Went to Thruxton to watch the historic racing. It was very good.  :gold-cup

Alan Drover

A phone call from Ian this afternoon to say the replacement diff had arrived and it was correct and he'd swap it over now so down I went.
The previous Blanchard diff triggered 30 on the speed monitor but the speedometer read 25. Back to normal 28 reading on the other monitor.
Normal service resumed.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Space-Kook

Sent it off on it's way to Devon.
1969 2A
1968 2A LWT

Alan Drover

In view of my recent transmission problems I thought I'd better check the 4wd. I chocked a rear wheel then with the transmission in first 2wd I jacked up a front wheel and it spun easily. I then pushed the yellow lever down and the wheel locked as it did with the red lever pulled back thus proving the 4wd is ok.
I'll be collecting the old diff later on to hold an inquest on it.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

nathanglasgow

Now that the rebuild of the ex Clydedank Singer Sewing Machine factory  fire land rover appliance is finished (apart from paint) it's time to get started on the camper conversion aspect of the plan. Isn't 4 way stretch van carpet lining a great invention.

Domeheadrivet

Trimmed the door cards to fit the new door locks.
1966 Series 2a 88" LHD Station Wagon

Alan Drover

The Land Rover is back on dog walking duties which now have to be combined with a visit to the local dog café now they've discovered it gives out free treats.
I had to move the old diff this morning which weighs about 37 kilos (about 80lb in English) and I can still carry it in 2 hands even at my advancing years unlike Ian who fitted the diff. He can carry it one handed. I suppose that's what working on Land Rovers does.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

diffwhine

Quote from: Alan Drover on Jun 28, 2024, 12:32 PMThe Land Rover is back on dog walking duties which now have to be combined with a visit to the local dog café now they've discovered it gives out free treats.
I had to move the old diff this morning which weighs about 37 kilos (about 80lb in English) and I can still carry it in 2 hands even at my advancing years unlike Ian who fitted the diff. He can carry it one handed. I suppose that's what working on Land Rovers does.

I would disagree... I think your chap Ian may well find that in due course, his propensity for carrying diffs with one hand will ultimately mean that various parts of his body structure will eventually throw in the towel and he will end up half crippled like the rest of us. I speak from bitter experience leading up to my pending 4th shoulder jab on Monday and a full shoulder operation in the Autumn. There are no heroes in the motor trade, only fools like me who didn't take care of ourselves when we were young.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Alan Drover

You're right there Diffwhine. I suppose we think we can do certain things and I must admit I tried carrying the diff in one hand. I managed it but it's too heavy really and I didn't want to risk anything at my age. I suppose it's showing off stupidly.
I have to remove a 22kg wheel clamp every time I take the Land and Rover out and when I take both dogs out I have to heave a 13 year old 25kg arthritic springer spaniel in and out of it.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

diffwhine

Actually, all joking apart, I have a dog ramp which I'm not using. You are welcome to borrow it.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Alan Drover

Thanks Mark but I don't think he'd walk up it.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Ken

Finished the rad panel today. The bottom had rusted out and I didn't like the replacement repair section.
The original panel is pressed and has a curved return into the rectangular openings.
The repairs panel is folded so sharp edges instead of curves. I managed to cut the bottom 1 inch off the repair panel and just skim under the curved return.
My first go with a mig  welder worked out ok and the rest was straightforward once the issue of headlamp fixings was overcome.