To Normandie for the D Day anniversary...

Started by 22900013A, Jun 04, 2024, 07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

22900013A

I might be considered slightly mad taking a 1 Ton 109" into Europe but this is great fun, really hones the driving skills. Averaging a nice 50mph cruise and around 13mpg.

Stopped off in Brighton then got the ferry from Newhaven to Dieppe. Saw a few Jeeps heading over and was chatting with several people going over for the commemorations.

22900013A

Driving in France was fun, the countryside is especially pretty...and yes that's "one life live it" on a VW camper! 🥴

Alan Drover

I went there on a school trip in April 1960. The museum was fascinating and I bet it's changed somewhat since then. To think D Day was coming up to its 16th anniversary then, now it's 80!!
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

22900013A

I remember the 50th anniversary, I was 13!

w3526602

Hi,

I can remember lining up for the ferry, at Newhaven, many yonks ago.

Sitting alongside beside was a "MASH" Dodge 6x6 Dodge pumping obnoxious exhaust fumes in our direction. I politely asked the driver if he could kill his engine.

He explained that the engine had to be kept running until it was cool, but I can't remember what he said would happen if he didn't. Seemed reasonable, at the time!

I asked how he could afford the fuel.  ???

He explained that it would run on any fuel . (Marmlade?)

Apparently it would run on anything    ... petrol ... diesel ... parafin ... etc.

He had an arrangement with garages, to collect all the "misfuel" that they had drained  out of petrol cars that had been filled with diesel, and vice versa. They would normally have to pay to have it collected.

Seanlandy

I visited the beaches a few years ago with the family. No particular occasion but sobering non the less. I hear that some of the veterans have crossed the channel, a few going back for the first time since 1944. So few of these brave men and women left. I remember going to the cenotaph as a cub scout back in the early 70's when there were still veterans from WW1. It will be a sad day when there are non left from either of the world wars.

simonbav

Quote from: Seanlandy on Jun 04, 2024, 03:19 PMI visited the beaches a few years ago with the family. No particular occasion but sobering non the less. I hear that some of the veterans have crossed the channel, a few going back for the first time since 1944. So few of these brave men and women left. I remember going to the cenotaph as a cub scout back in the early 70's when there were still veterans from WW1. It will be a sad day when there are non left from either of the world wars.

I lived and grew up next door to a Dambuster in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's, and my last WW2 friend, a Spitfire fitter during the last years of the war, died last year. RIP
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Alan Drover

My late father was a rear gunner in Lancasters and was awarded the DFC which is now in my possession.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Peter Holden

My dad was a wireless operator in 582 pathfinder squadron based at Little Staughton in Cambridgeshire.  I have his DFM and campaign medals (plus his log book).  My mum also played a role as a WAAF driver on the same station.

Peter

Alan Drover

I've got my father's log book too and it's all destined for the RAF Museum at Hendon. I won't sell any of it.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Peter Holden

All the memorobilia that I have will go to my nephew (my sons are adopted and they feel that it should go down the bloodline)

Peter

simonbav

My paternal g/f was a tank commander in Burma and survived the war and died before I was born. My maternal g/f trained aircrew in Moosejaw, Canada, and died in 1999. Both terrific people.
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Gerty

Quote from: 22900013A on Jun 04, 2024, 07:32 AMI might be considered slightly mad taking a 1 Ton 109" into Europe but this is great fun, really hones the driving skills. Averaging a nice 50mph cruise and around 13mpg.

Not mad at all.  Over the last 14 years GEU has been half a dozen times on camping trips with my then young family, as far as Italy.  Next month, kids grown up, its just me & Liz going to Brittany.  Luxury now we sleep in the back rather than on the ground in tents!

But you may be mad for the 13mpg.  Nissan LD28 in mine returns 30mpg on these long trips laden.  I love it for that, don't like it isn't a Land Rover, like that it much quieter than a tdi!

Normandy beaches trip is sobering, but I found when we went that 7 days was too long, too much and northern Normandy does not have a lot else to offer to the tourist.  There is only so much Normandy landings a family will take.  I found the Flanders battle fields more family friendly in that there are other things to do in the area's, Bruges etc, to break up the more somber.

Paul

nathanglasgow

My step grandfather was a platoon tank commander for Pattons 4th armoured division. Injured in 1944 when tank hit and recuperated in Bath, England. He always maintained his platoon was hit by friendly fire. Alcoholism plagued his life untill he married my paternal grandmother. Always enjoyed visiting him, he had the most amazing gun collection and good stories.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Rolvaag&ved=2ahUKEwif_Li3_8KGAxVAWkEAHXC7HTMQFnoECCUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3CyGbcnhVih6MvRH8W10aS

jeichhorst

My Dad's brother was a WAG on Halifax mk III's with 427 Sqdn. RCAF, flying out of Leeming.

Never would talk about his service. Brave, humble men.

Jeff