I feel the beat of rain
The wind, an icy blast-
The nights are drawing in.

Main Menu

Washer bottle

Started by Fred the shed, Jun 04, 2024, 09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred the shed

Hi all, I'm sure my washer bottle is not the original. I have a tudor bottle and a modern pump. Any photos as well would be great.
Fred

diffwhine

Screenwash systems were not made mandatory on all vehicles until the mid 1960s. Therefore pretty much all screenwash systems were aftermarket.

What age is your LR and can you post images of what you have currently fitted?
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Peter Holden

I believe 1967 was the year.

There is a adiagram and description of what land rover offered as the kit to fit to pre 1967 vehicles in the parts book, it included a manual pump and a wash bottle that fitted in a bracket that was mounted on top of the passenger footwell

I dont know what was fitted at the factory after that date but it wasnt the same kit.

Peter

2DieselMan

See the attached photos showing what I believe was the original S2 Washer kit & Fitment and the later S2A Kits and Fitment

Wittsend

There is no definitive answer to your question.

We are blind until you can post up a picture of what you have and the date of your vehicle.

I forget the actual date of the law that required screen washers to be fitted. It was retrospective legislation (one of the few such laws) and all sorts of screen washer kits quickly came on the market by the major car accessory people. And including lots of PO home made/fitted systems.

You just need a reservoir - a cyclist's drink bottle holder, for example, and a cheapo electric pump from Halfords.

Let's see what you have and we can tell you if it's an original period fitting.

:wipers

Peter Holden

I think it must have been 1967 because that is when we fitted the kit to our 59 and Alans first photo shows exactly what we got.

All these years later our 3 year old eurobox has washer jets on the wiper arms

Peter

TimV

Legislation was in about 1974, I had to fit washers to my Morris Minor (1954).

As such, any contemporary washer system could have been fitted at the time.

Craig T

Unless you have a fold down windscreen which doesn't require washers or wipers. Soft top vehicles may be able to claim this, harder on station wagons and hard tops.

Craig.

Fred the shed

Thank you all for your replies. It wasn't until after i put the post up, that I realized there wouldn't be a washer bottle on a 1962 land rover.
Although it looks originally fully trimmed on the inside including the dash and so my have had something fitted from new. But if it was like the photo provided.
The earliest ones I remember was either a bottle or a washer bag and you had a hand pump you pressed.

These are photos of mine, I suppose if I can get a more retro looking pump. It would be more in with keeping.   

diffwhine

Personally, were it mine, I'd leave as is. It works presumably?
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

s2c-04905

My Series 2a was manufactured in Dec 1961 and sold March 1962 with this bottle fitted. There is a push button vacuum operated on the bulkhead in the cab, near the drivers left knee.

Wittsend

Your washer bottle is of the period when they were added later by POs.

Tudor was/are a big name in washer accessories. I suspect the Tudor pump failed at some point and a replacement Durite pump was fitted.

As posted ^^^ If it's not broken don't fix it.

:wipers