I feel the beat of rain
The wind, an icy blast-
The nights are drawing in.

Main Menu

Dash cam recommendations.

Started by cswagon, Jun 05, 2024, 08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cswagon

Could anyone who has one recommend a dashcam for a Land Rover please, preferably that isn't
going to break the bank if possible.
Many thanks
Graham.
1971 Ser 11A 109 SW (flat packed) (now being driven daily)                                                         

1972 Ser 111 109 van (daily driver)...SOLD

Saga lout.

TimV

I have one of these:
https://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/nextbase-322gw-dash-cam-158990.html
A Nextbase dashcam with GPS. Keeps the time, knows where it is. For use in the LR, I turn off all the sensors, otherwise the suspension will fill up the card! Good for recording lanes.

fv1620

I have two cheapos, one on the windscreen & one on the rear window. They are not very discrete, particularly at the rear I want to make it very obvious that my tailgaters are being recorded.

I carry a spare SD card, as if I am away on a trip & there is an incident, I will replace the card as I don't want to risk something crucial being overwritten.   
Clive Elliott

Collecting military technical publications, researching into military vehicle electrical systems, licensed radio amateur since 1964 using microwave bands for tropospheric scatter.

s2c-04905

I have a Nextbase fitted (sucker) on the windscreen. I have an Aux panel with a 12v and 2 USB connectors so use one of those to power it.

Dopey

Don't get a VIOFO or whatever it is, they are a right faff and Chineeseium, Garmin are good, you can talk to it "Garmin Record"

Wittsend

After my accident (bolting the stable door after the horses have gone) I fitted the best - at the time - Nextbase front & rear cameras in both our modern cars.
(I was lucky with witnesses ... next time  ??? )

Bought from Halfords and used their fitting service - they do this every day and know the best ways to run the cables in modern eurobox cars :gold-cup

When I get my new classic car I'll be fitting the dash cam myself as I'm not too sure Halfords know about P4 110s.

Once fitted and after a few days playing around with the captured footage - I just forget they are there, until never needed - I hope.

Noddy

The Nextbase ones which are sucker mounted are easy to reposition or swop to another vehicle. The adhesive pad mounted ones are very difficult to remove and the pad will have to be replaced to remount. There also options with some models to add a rear mounted camera hard wired or plugged into the main screen mounted one these give a wide angle view inside and out.

Alec

cswagon

Many thanks for all the replies and useful info.
I've gone with TimV's suggestion but bought it directly from Nextbase and
actually received an amazing deal.
I'll keep you updated, if I can fathom how it actually works.
1971 Ser 11A 109 SW (flat packed) (now being driven daily)                                                         

1972 Ser 111 109 van (daily driver)...SOLD

Saga lout.

martinthefirst

Quote from: Wittsend on Jun 06, 2024, 12:54 PMWhen I get my new classic car I'll be fitting the dash cam myself as I'm not too sure Halfords know about P4 110s.
I had a 110, remember driving with my 7 year old son in the passenger seat who exclaimed "it's raining Dad, put the wipers on" . When I told him it wasn't raining he replied "it is on my side", I looked over and water was emanating from his side of the bonnet. It was the dreaded O ring at the front of the cylinder head. Turned into a big job but went like a rocket afterwards.Lovely car.

Myles (Mr Fox) Davison

We were lucky - I finally fitted a Garmin 65 not long before a bin lorry tried to squeeze past and *just* clipped our daily. The evidence was so compelling that we weren't even asked to deposit our excess.

We decided that it had earned enough to justify buying a second he that I can transfer between the S2A and Boxster. Works well.

Wittsend

Won't be long before they are standard kit on new cars.

That doesn't help us with classic cars though.

:RHD

Myles (Mr Fox) Davison

Quote from: Wittsend on Jun 06, 2024, 06:41 PMWon't be long before they are standard kit on new cars.

That doesn't help us with classic cars though.

:RHD

I suspect they're already in most new cars to (potentially) satisfy EU speed limiter legislation etc.! Our Volvo has both GPS and camera-based speed sign recognition, I believe...