Stable doors - Brenton bolts or alternatives (improved security).

Started by Myles (Mr Fox) Davison, Jun 06, 2024, 06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myles (Mr Fox) Davison

We've received the keys to our new home and finished the first of two moving days.

I now have a converted stables consisting of a double garage space with a stable side door - which I've knocked through into a single-stall stable (also with stable door) and which adjoins another singke-stall stable with the ubiquitous door.

All of the doors have 'Brenton' lockable bolts for the top and bottom section - but they have next to zero security. Straight screws into the wood - not even coach bolts.

I appreciate that security is only as good as the weakest link - and all three zones also have unprotected windows - but I want to improve the Brenton bolts.

Dunno whether to update the Brentons with coachbolt versions - or do something different. I quite like the Brenton function (I'm also going to fit hinge bolts to make it harder to just undo the hinge side!)

Any suggestions?

(Ps - I'm just about to fit a Ring alarm system to the main garage space and knocked-through area...)

whitehillbilly64

Park a Tank Behind the Doors.
Seemed to work in Aus 4 days ago.

whitehillbilly

Kev

Coach bolt any fixings, and stick a blob of weld on the internal nut.👍

simonbav

Quote from: whitehillbilly64 on Jun 06, 2024, 10:08 PMPark a Tank Behind the Doors.
Seemed to work in Aus 4 days ago.

whitehillbilly

I searched for a news story relating to this, WHB, with no luck. Can you help?
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Myles (Mr Fox) Davison

Quote from: Kev on Jun 07, 2024, 06:44 PMCoach bolt any fixings, and stick a blob of weld on the internal nut.👍

Interesting idea, thanks - but if the fixings are coach bolts, how would the weld help?

Realistically, a battery powered angle grinder would make mincemeat of any hinges etc. - I do want to deter oiks armed with nothing more than a decent screwdriver though!

Kev

It just stops maybe someone entering by the roof say, and undoing the nut from the inside

diffwhine

1965 2A 88" Station Wagon