News:

... and the sky is grey

Main Menu

Club Membership Map?

Started by Seanlandy, Jun 07, 2024, 07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seanlandy

Morning all. I seem to have seen a few series landies driving around locally. I was wondering if there is a club map that shows the approximate location of members. I have been in some clubs where there are pins on a digital online map that shows the basic information of owners, who can elect to not have their details added to the map, if they so wish.  I just wondered if this was something that has ever been considered, or may even exist.

biloxi

I'm sure the crims would appreciate it very much.
.W.

Seanlandy

That's why I said approximate location. Not exact address.

Wittsend

For the internal running/planning club officials do make use of a postcode mapping app - Batchgeo.
It's free, but only for up to 200 data points. Mapping apps cost a lot and we don't have any plans to publish membership pin maps - for the reasons given above. To pin map 2500 postcodes would cost a lot for little gain. I'm not sure what benefit/use they would be to ordinary members. The club is slit into regional areas, the topic starter is in the Peak District & Potteries Area.
Each area have regular "pub meetings". If you attend you can ask where fellow members are. You'll find out as you chat amongst yourselves.
We also publish in each B2L a list of new members with their basic locations, like Norfolk, London, Yorkshire, Devon etc. That gives you a rough idea of where people are.

If you are in an area where there seems to be little activity then find out which area you are in - who the area rep is, if there is one and/or find a suitable pub or other venue, choose a day/date and host a meeting. The club can't magic up volunteers. We - the club will advertise and promote your meetings. You only need 2 for a pub meeting and you don't have to even attend in a Land Rover product, you could go on the bus.

:RHD

Seanlandy

Thanks. It was merely an honest question, not a criticism.

Wittsend

I was just explaining the current situation asking what would the gains be and what people can do to find their local members.

As you might expect we have members in most parts of the UK. Obviously we are light in the less densely populated areas like the Highland & Islands and the Welsh hills.

We also have a strong overseas contingent, some 250 members about 10% of the total, found in all sorts of far-off places like Chile, the most being in the USA. Geography works against them having "local" meetings.

Keen local members used to place club leaflets under the wipers or slipped under the door of Series vehicles they found in car parks and the like. Don't know if this still happens ???
Your area reps have supplies of club leaflets.

Seanlandy

Thank you, Wittsend. I have to say that in the short time I have been a member, I have had nothing but support and advice from other members. I will certainly keep an eye out for other series in the area and wonder if it's worth getting together more locally, or at least extolling the virtues of the club.

Birdsnest55

Sean if you look under "Members" on the forum, you can then arrange them by location.
It may help you look for people local, you can always PM them.

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

Chris866

As a bit of fun, if I add a pin for all England, Wales and Scotland members you can get an idea how useful this can be :)
- Membership secretary
- Anglia Area Rep
- Website admin

Wittsend

I think I've found me ...

Birdsnest55

That may be a Red Herring

Paul
1965 109" 200TDi with a 5 speed gearbox and 3.54 diffs.

diffwhine

I agree...
I think that's Wally - found him at last.
You cannot view this attachment.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Seanlandy

Think you're just taking the mick now! :confused

diffwhine

I was taking the Mick out of Wittsend's identification of his location.

Actually I do get your point and we have done some similar regional pin maps in the past, but more so that the Club can identify how best to set up and cover regions in the most effective way possible. Its risky showing a public map which shows hot spots of enthusiast / club members' locations. I for one would not be too keen on publishing such information for fear of becoming a target for those with less than honorable motives.

What would be worth doing is contacting your local area rep as Wittsend has suggested and get the low down from that person on who is about.

1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Adam1958

Quote from: Seanlandy on Jun 07, 2024, 12:29 PMThink you're just taking the mick now! :confused

Bomb down to the Evesham pub meet bud, it's not crazy far from Cannock, the bangers and mash are belting and the folks are all lovely.