Experience or reviews for 205/80R16 110/108Q Maxxis Bighorn MT-764 BSW

Started by Ironchicken64, Jun 11, 2024, 02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironchicken64

Is anyone using 205/80R16 110/108Q Maxxis Bighorn MT-764 BSW or 205/80R16 110/108Q Maxxis Wormdrive AT-980E OWL
If so I would like to know what the general opinion is.
I'd prefer Michelin 7.50 XZL's but the price is putting me off.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

The general opinion is you can buy cheap or good. Appears you want cheap. As with all tyre threads some will be along to say their ABC brand are fine - so much better than last week's - and this will be as arbitary and subjective as the question.

Buy the best you can afford. Careful to buy in date.

'Maxxis Bighorn'   I say buy those on the name alone. Promise you'll pick the sidewall letters out in white.

Adam1958

I've had a fair bit of experience with maxxis tyres over the years, on various vehicles. I have not used the 205/80/16 but have used the same tread pattern in other sizes... maxxis as far as I know is part of CST who have been around for decades. They are widely respected in motorcycle, ATV, MTB markets and are big in the American off-roading market.

They love a bit of marketing hype, but I'd say they are about as good as anything else.

My preference is always for a new tyre... meaning some of the mod surplus stuff you see for sale might be rock hard and ancient, a new tyre of almost any flavour will be better than that in the areas that count.

I would buy maxxis rubber again no probs.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

geoff

I've not heard anything untoward with Maxxis so I'd not discount them, do they do any 7.50's or equivalent size ?

Serious Series

What do you intend doing with your landrover?
Big horn reviews seem to say a lot of road noise but good off road.

Ironchicken64

To be fair I am not going to use off road that much, so the all terrain tyre is the likely option and not the Bighorn.
I might bite the bullet and go with the Michelin but so far I have not found them much under £200 per corner ( and I would want a matching spare)   

Oddjob

I bought xzl's when they were a bit cheaper and love them although they are much much softer than the 15 year old set I had on before so are wearing a lot faster.
To save a few quid I bought a second hand xzl for the spare. As it sits on the bonnet it will probably get sun damage before it's used.

Serious Series

Quote from: Oddjob on Jun 12, 2024, 11:11 AMI bought xzl's when they were a bit cheaper and love them although they are much much softer than the 15 year old set I had on before so are wearing a lot faster.
To save a few quid I bought a second hand xzl for the spare. As it sits on the bonnet it will probably get sun damage before it's used.
Worth buying a cover for your spare on the bonnet lot cheaper than a tyre.
Mine was £45 from ebay hard top surface with elasticated fabric on sides.

Donaldrwebb

I've just bought a set of Michelin's £600 for 4 delivered.  Still have to pay to fit them though.