I feel the beat of rain
The wind, an icy blast-
The nights are drawing in.

Main Menu

wheel question

Started by Oilyrag921, Jun 15, 2024, 07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oilyrag921

I was wondering if any wheel experts can identify this wheel, I bought 4 (with tyres fitted) last year off a trader but one keeps losing air. My tyre man has told me they're not LR because of the indent around the centre, he says it should be flat, also he said they're not suitable for tubeless tyres.  Having said that they appear to fit well and the other 3 haven't gone lost any air.

Alan Drover

If your tyre man says they're not suitable for tubeless tyres then you must use tubes as the wheels are not airtight and could deflate without warning despite your saying that only one loses air.
I can't identify the wheels but I would reckon they're not aftermarket ones.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Oilyrag921

He has put a tube in the suspect one, I mentioned that I'd probably be back with the other 3 ! Thanks Alan.

Oilyrag921

It seemed to be the seating of the bead he was concerned about too.

Alan Drover

I see the tyres are tubeless. I hope your tyre man checked the inside for any rough parts that might chafe the tube.
Maybe that's why he's concerned about the seating of the bead on a tubed wheel.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

biloxi

Quote from: Oilyrag921 on Jun 15, 2024, 07:49 PMI was wondering if any wheel experts can identify this wheel, I bought 4 (with tyres fitted) last year off a trader but one keeps losing air. My tyre man has told me they're not LR because of the indent around the centre, he says it should be flat, also he said they're not suitable for tubeless tyres.  Having said that they appear to fit well and the other 3 haven't gone lost any air.

They look like Eord F100 series rims from the 50's or 60's.
.W.

geoff

Good shout with F100 just looked at some on eBay and they are exactly like them  :cheers-man

w3526602

Hi,

My understanding is that tubed tyres should not be used on tubed rims, but I have forgotten why not. Somebody here will know.

My comment would be that if something is that easy, but dangerous, it should be
designed to be physically impossible.

OT. Tyres should not be stuffed with grass (apparently a "get you home" solution in Days of Yore) as grass will not maintain 25psi.

nathanglasgow

Yours don't have any nibs for hub caps which the F100 wheel rims have. My guess would be old trailer wheels(agri/horse box)

22900013A

Quote from: w3526602 on Jun 16, 2024, 04:46 AMHi,

My understanding is that tubed tyres should not be used on tubed rims, but I have forgotten why not. Somebody here will know.

My comment would be that if something is that easy, but dangerous, it should be
designed to be physically impossible.

OT. Tyres should not be stuffed with grass (apparently a "get you home" solution in Days of Yore) as grass will not maintain 25psi.

I think you meant to say tubeless tyres should not be used on tubed rims.

w3526602

I think you meant to say tubeless tyres should not be used on tubed rims.

Hi,

Er ... just testing you.  :cool

autorover1

Both Michelin and Land Rover ( When I worked there) were adamant that tubes should never be fitted to tubeless wheels ie the ones with humps. This was due to tubes  stretching too much when the tyre bead jumps over the hump.  I think the not  fitting of tubes to tubeless tyres is a red herring, and probably comes from the statement  that fitting a tube in  a tubeless tyre on a tubeless wheel is not allowed, which is true.  Michelin certainly state a tube may be fitted with their tubeless marked tyres where it is needed. I have always understood that the word tubeless on a tyre  means it can be used, as appropriate, without a tube not that it cannot be fitted with tubes when necessary.  The humps were introduced to stop the radial ply tyres from pulling off the rim under severe manoeuvres. At the same time, I was advised to fit tubes when using radial ply tyres on the normal well based wheels on both on my old Rover Cars and Land Rovers and have been following this advise for the last 35 years   

Oilyrag921

My tyre man also mentioned that they could be Austin Gypsy,  so fairly old anyway. 
They're stopping on as they do the job for now.

Old Hywel

I thought I'd found another possible source, but it's not quite the same.
2" anti-tank gun at Duxford museum.

John

Could they be from a old Rice horse box ???
Used to be "oilstain" on old forum