The wind, an icy blast-
The nights are drawing in.

Main Menu

Do you reverse into your driveway?

Started by Alan Drover, Jun 16, 2024, 03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Drover

Completely OT. To
I always reverse in. I don't have the luxury of a carriage driveway ( 2 entrances) or enough room to turn round. When I was delivering items I parked a long wheelbase Mercedes Sprinter on my drive and reversing it out would have been a nightmare.
Now I always reverse the Land Rover in and on the door mirrors too.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Archie

Reverse in and drive out.
Safest and best.
Archie

TimV

What driveway? I don't have one.

Irritates me when I see people reversing out of driveways into main roads. So much easier for them to reverse in.

Wittsend

A lot depends on your location and traffic ...

We live on a very quiet cut-de-sac. We drive in and back out, quite safe and we have good vision behind to see if the road is clear.

On anything like a main, through road with traffic, then yes - back in and drive out.

Richard

Same here. I reverse up the driveway. Parking lots and buildings same thing. 'Combat parking' it's called, I think, operationeel parkeren in Dutch. They probably call it 'combat' because as a general rule, when you pass your parking space, shift into reverse to backup into it someone else has parked front first in your spot, and you have to get out of your car and kill him.

You may also read her where it says him.

Richard
'64 S2a
'85 RRC

Wittsend

Car parks are a different thing.

I try and go to a quiet section, drive in and go forward to the space in front, so I'm on the front row of the grid and can drive out nose first. I like to park with one side next to the kerb/bushes/edge so only one side of the car is exposed to idiot drivers who like to park right close up (modern cars are far too wide for the spaces. Then you get some idiot who parks right up your exhaust pipe so you can't get your shopping trolly round to the back. This is "fixed" by simply leaving your trolly in front of their car  :)) - revenge. Car park spaces are/were designed on the width of an Austin & and they have not changed in 100 years  :shakinghead

I can bet my house that if I park in an empty section of a car park when I come back my car will have attracted 2 or 3 others to park (close) next to me - while there are still masses of empty spaces away from my car.

I found parking in the USA (Florida) more civilised, they are allowed guns which might have something to do with it.

Parking in Paris is interesting, you use your bumpers to shunt back & forth to make a space for you, same in Italy. No one seems to get too upset that you have "touched" their car ???

:Tarkus

Alan Drover

Having the side steps down ensures adequate room.
One time, sidestep 1, Citroen door 0!
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Wittsend

This is where Series Land Rovers win out. Solid front & rear bumpers with a tow ball - and side steps.

:gold-cup

Alan Drover

Quote from: Wittsend on Jun 16, 2024, 08:04 PMThis is where Series Land Rovers win out. Solid front & rear bumpers with a tow ball - and side steps.

:gold-cup
NATO hitch even better.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Phil2014

I'm with Wittsend on this, I hate leaving our every day car in car parks, I try to park as far away as I can away from other cars, failing that in an end space etc, if I do have to park in between cars, I try to make sure they are cars that are obviously looked after by their owners, less chance of them battering their doors in to ours. I generally prefer to reverse in depending on the circumstances.
Phil.
Borders area rep.

Richard

Exactly. Far away from other cars and on the end of a row, next to a tree, a wall, a stretch of grass, ...
Richard
'64 S2a
'85 RRC

Genocache

dartymoor

Always park ready to leave quickly in an emergency.

Jeff

Always do your reversing whilst the engine is hot, supposedly uses less fuel than starting a cold engine and then reversing.
Jeff

1971 Series 2a
ex Defender Td5
Ex Defender 300 Tdi
Ex D4
Ex D3
Ex 1969 Series 2a

biloxi

I too park as far away from other cars as possible. Always ready for a quick getaway.
Forward. reverse makes no difference to me.
.W.