I feel the beat of rain
The wind, an icy blast-
The nights are drawing in.

Main Menu

Do you reverse into your driveway?

Started by Alan Drover, Jun 16, 2024, 03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GHOBHW

always reverse, had a very small driveway leading onto a slightly busy road, near impossible to back out.

currently in the process of moving homes though, at the new place I can just drive straight in and turn around in the garden itself, so thats very exciting and new for me :RHD

Littlelegs

I always reverse down the drive and into parking spaces, unless I can pull through to the one in front. Easier to get out especially in a rush.
As with others, I try and park leaving spaces around whatever vehicle I'm in but invariably find someone has parked next to me even in an empty car park. I assume they feel comfort by parking near something else🤷�♂️
1963 Series 2a 88 petrol

Oddjob

The posh houses round here have turntables built into their drives.  :RHD

malcolm

Nose first in at home more convenient when bonnet up being nearer the house, plus water ingress when it rains is less with front end pointing up.
Multi storey car park in town bottom level where no one parks,reverse in.

Peter Holden

I park both ways depending on the situation.  The land rover lives at the side of the house.  Unfortunately on the other side is next doors "jungle".  I have noticed over the last few years that side attracts a lot of greenalgae type stuff on the canvas so to mitigate the situation.

When we go shopping in our eurobox (Berlingo clone) if I need to put stuff in the boot I drive into a space as the tailgate is quite large and folk who pull into the space behind never leave enough room for access however if we are utilising the rea passenger floor then I reverse in.  We do have the benefit of sliding rear passenger doors.  We suffer the same fate with our Romahome which has the access to the habitation unit at the back

Peter

Herald1360

Quote from: Oddjob on Jun 17, 2024, 10:28 PMThe posh houses round here have turntables built into their drives.  :RHD

Can they be locked at 90° to make TWOCing more difficult?

Wittsend

People who live in houses like that and can afford turntables will have sophisticated tracking on their vehicles.

:RHD

Oddjob

Quote from: Herald1360 on Jun 18, 2024, 09:41 AM
Quote from: Oddjob on Jun 17, 2024, 10:28 PMThe posh houses round here have turntables built into their drives.  :RHD

Can they be locked at 90° to make TWOCing more difficult?

Dunno but it's a very good idea  :gold-cup
All the Range Rovers as well as BMW steering wheels and VW cruise control radars are being nicked around here.
 :confused

Archie

Quote from: Wittsend on Jun 18, 2024, 01:33 PMPeople who live in houses like that and can afford turntables will have sophisticated tracking on their vehicles.

:RHD

Given the right number of signal jammers, even the most sophisticated system can be overcome.
Physical deterrants are still the best IMO.

But if someone really wants to TWOC you car - they will.

Instead of just a turntable, let's have it sink down gracefully into the secure underground parking area 😁
Archie

Theshed

Reverse in whenever possible. Do the hard bit first as my used to say.
In big carparks, I agree that best bet is to park away from the crowd if there is space.
Back in the day, my Mum would always try and have me park as close as possible to the door. I've got a badge, you can park here.
No Mum, I'll drop you off and go park. 😊

Oddjob

Quote from: Archie on Jun 18, 2024, 04:37 PM:RHD
Quote from: Wittsend on Jun 18, 2024, 01:33 PMPeople who live in houses like that and can afford turntables will have sophisticated tracking on their vehicles.

Instead of just a turntable, let's have it sink down gracefully into the secure underground parking area 😁

Colin Furze style  :gold-cup

andyjb

Always reverse into spaces when parking. Either at work or elsewhere, and that's with either car.

JReid

Visited Prodrive (off the M40) a couple of years ago, all employees and visitors told to reverse into spaces as the founder of the company liked to see order and uniformity😳

w3526602

Hi,

OT, but query the logic ....

I watched a woman park her car in a busy high street, against her near-side kerb, get out, open her off-side rear door .... and let her toddler jump out ... into the traffic.

Peter Holden

John, that is common.  We do a lot of feŕying of small grandchildren.  Our sliding doors are a godsend but they still always enter and exit kerbside

I have also just started using a new facility on our car (we have only had it 2 and a half years.  The window in the tailgate opens so we can put small stuff in without lifting the tailgate

Peter

Peter