I feel the beat of rain
The wind, an icy blast-
The nights are drawing in.

Main Menu

2A alternator

Started by s2c-08616, Jun 16, 2024, 09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s2c-08616

Big subject!  Need an alternator for my rebuilt petrol engine. Someone says 'Go big!  Bigger the better!  75 Amp!'
Really?
It's a 2.25 and it needs to run a radio, USB port, heated rear screen, heater, spotlight, trailer lights, interior light, rear fog, front spots. Oh, and a cigarette lighter.
Not powering Houston. What's the collective view? 
Jessie - 1964 SWB 2A.

Alan Drover

I've fitted a 70 amp Magneti Marelli to my Series 3 which has heated windscreens. I can't remember where I bought it but it should be easy to find on line. 2 output wires will be needed though.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Wittsend

The Lucas ACR 17 which I think output 35/26 amps would cover your needs, as would an ACR 18 (45 amps).

But the more recent Lucas A127 types will fit - these have massive amp outputs starting from around 45 amps, which is more than enough. You could fit a 90 amp A127 and it won't do any harm as long as your cabling to the battery can cope with the amps.

Go for a good brand name like Lucas or Bosch, price and guarantee.

If you are "upgrading" from a dynamo your biggest problem will be sourcing an alternator bracket - they ain't cheap.

:big-battery

Alan Drover

I bought mine from Auto Electric Supplies in Tenbury Wells. It's an A127 right handed.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

nathanglasgow

If you fit a Dynamator you don't need to buy different brackets. I fitted one about 4 years ago, it's been great so far.

Wittsend

I have a Dynamator in the LWT and I made a dummy voltage regulator box. At 1st & 2nd place it looks for all the world that it's running on a dynamo.

Problem is, Dynamotors are not cheap, but as posted ^^^ it gets round the bracket problem  :gold-cup
IIRC my Dynamator outputs 45 amps.

:RHD

Alan Drover

Quote from: Wittsend on Jun 16, 2024, 09:21 PMIf you are "upgrading" from a dynamo your biggest problem will be sourcing an alternator bracket - they ain't cheap.

:big-battery
574855 is the part number and it's available. I wonder if it's cheaper to buy an alternator and the bracket than a Dynamotor.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

BigLee

Someone on here recommended an alternator from MGOC. No exchange and with fan and pulley. I fitted one . Seems great. https://www.mgocspares.co.uk/product/geu206r/lucas-alternator-18acr-45amp-remanufactured?nodePath=1/3/4/17/1523

Direct link

Ken

I used a denso self regulating alternator on my vintage car. So good I've fitted a 50 amp one on my S2, no need for a voltage regulator. Around £70 delivered.
I made the bracket to fit it after a bit of cad design, cardboard aided with a cornflake packet.
Turned out very nicely.

Peter Holden

I have knee from a scrap ford on my S2, not got a clue what it is but the pulley lines up and it works fine

Peter

w3526602

your biggest problem will be sourcing an alternator bracket - they ain't cheap.

Hi,

The obvious choice is a bracket from a Series 3 engine ... very easy to fit, but as you say, they used to be £70 from Paddock, and almost as much second hand.

I would have thought there were now plenty of S3s now falling by the wayside.

Wittsend

That's what I mean - on paper there should be loads of 2nd alternator brackets from breakers/scrap yards - but they have caught up with silly eBay prices.

There are suppliers of new brackets - just Google for that part number.

I mean, the days of a £5 bracket are long since gone  :'(

:RHD

Alan Drover

Series 3's are no longer being scrapped. With the price of Series 1's, 2/2A's on the up and up Series 3's are still affordable (but for how long?)
When I used to have free run of my late mate's Land Rover graveyard I collected carburettors, distributors and even a complete Series 3 hand throttle but never would I have thought alternator brackets would become scarce
"Ça plane pour moi!"

nathanglasgow

I think the prices for S1, 2and 3s are on a downward slide. Quite a few articles out there where the classic car experts are saying the bubble after covid has burst. Good news for the enthusiasts.

gcc130

I have a spare s3 alternator bracket.