News:

40 days and 40 nights of rain 

Main Menu

Is this Pastel Green?

Started by Mefster, Jun 19, 2024, 05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mefster

When I bought by 2a last year the majority of the restoration had been completed, including a decent respray.  The can of paint given to me when I bought it says it's BLMC Pastel Green (I can't make out the name of the paint shop but it's a Middlesbrough number- I bought it from Stockton-on-Tees.)

The wheels are a slightly different shade (I'm planning on changing for Limestone wheels). Whenever I saw pictures of Pastel Green Land Rovers they didn't look quite the same. Out of curiosity I contacted Paint Man who to get samples of Pastel Green and Atlantic Green.  On comparison neither seems to match.  I know it's impossible to tell from a photograph, but do you think this is just the variation from paint shop to paint shop? What is the best plan if I need to match pain in the future?

22900013A

Land Rover never had a colour called Pastel green. Their name was simply light green. Yours looks close to light green but not exactly the same.
It really depends what you want to do, if you want the paint to be correct it may well need a repaint. If you just want a match then the logical thing would be to get a match to the existing paint.

Exile

Quote from: 22900013A on Jun 19, 2024, 05:36 PMLand Rover never had a colour called Pastel green. Their name was simply light green. 

Are you certain Dan?

I thought the name Pastel Green came in with the SIII.


Mefster

Quote from: 22900013A on Jun 19, 2024, 05:36 PMLand Rover never had a colour called Pastel green. Their name was simply light green. Yours looks close to light green but not exactly the same.
It really depends what you want to do, if you want the paint to be correct it may well need a repaint. If you just want a match then the logical thing would be to get a match to the existing paint.

From The Paint Man Website:

" Land Rover Pastel Green LRC005. Also known as Light Green Traditionally a classic colour used on the Series vehicles roughly between 1959 – 1984."

So it seems Pastel Green/Light Green are the same...

22900013A

Quote from: Exile on Jun 19, 2024, 05:43 PM
Quote from: 22900013A on Jun 19, 2024, 05:36 PMLand Rover never had a colour called Pastel green. Their name was simply light green. 

Are you certain Dan?

I thought the name Pastel Green came in with the SIII.



Not according to period documents.

22900013A

Quote from: Mefster on Jun 19, 2024, 06:35 PM
Quote from: 22900013A on Jun 19, 2024, 05:36 PMLand Rover never had a colour called Pastel green. Their name was simply light green. Yours looks close to light green but not exactly the same.
It really depends what you want to do, if you want the paint to be correct it may well need a repaint. If you just want a match then the logical thing would be to get a match to the existing paint.

From The Paint Man Website:

" Land Rover Pastel Green LRC005. Also known as Light Green Traditionally a classic colour used on the Series vehicles roughly between 1959 – 1984."

So it seems Pastel Green/Light Green are the same...

They do seem to use the term interchangeably, but LR never used the term.

22900013A

Late series 3 colour palette.

Wittsend

... and the Land Rover "myth" says the Rover factory had loads of light green paint left over from making aircraft in WWII. This light green paint was what they painted the insides of the cockpits. Further more, they had loads of alloy sheet, but steel was rationed - and so Land Rovers got alloy (Birmabright) bodies.

 :hinges

Mefster

So I guess the official LRC005 colour is Light Green, is Pastel green just a colloquialism...

22900013A

Quote from: Wittsend on Jun 19, 2024, 07:24 PM... and the Land Rover "myth" says the Rover factory had loads of light green paint left over from making aircraft in WWII. This light green paint was what they painted the insides of the cockpits. Further more, they had loads of alloy sheet, but steel was rationed - and so Land Rovers got alloy (Birmabright) bodies.

 :hinges

Myth...it's an outright lie. The very early light green paint was just chosen from the options at Burgess paints. Cockpit paint would be matt, and anyway Rover were not an aircraft manufacturer during the war, they made engines for tanks and aircraft.
Likewise the aluminium (birmabright) was bought it, partially due to being unrationed. Birmabright was not used for aircraft production so far as I know.

whitehillbilly64

Might be a Leyland colour, depending on the year of the 2a.
'Land Rover began as the Rover Company up until 1967 when it was acquired by Leyland Motor Corporation'
My 74 S3 in Leyland Olive Green.

whitehillbilly

geoff


Paint company ICI had " Light / Pastel Green " listed on their catalogues for Land Rover '68 - '73 ... the code ref no was : 3185

Mike T

I resprayed mine in light green, purchased 5ltr mixed by a local company. I then bought a spray can from paintman which I thought would be handy for touching up small parts. But the match is not perfect. I suspect that is what could of happened to the person that painted the Mefster vehicle.

Exile

Quote from: 22900013A on Jun 19, 2024, 07:03 PMLate series 3 colour palette.

That is the colour options of the new colours introduced for the One Ten (which is mentioned in the text).
As SIII 88" and a few 109's were still being built , it applied in theory to all of those too, however I have never seen a SIII in Trident Green or Stratos Blue.

To be convinced that Land Rover never mentioned Pastel Green, I would like to see an early/mid SIII colour chart, for comparison.

22900013A

Quote from: Exile on Jun 20, 2024, 05:42 PM
Quote from: 22900013A on Jun 19, 2024, 07:03 PMLate series 3 colour palette.

That is the colour options of the new colours introduced for the One Ten (which is mentioned in the text).
As SIII 88" and a few 109's were still being built , it applied in theory to all of those too, however I have never seen a SIII in Trident Green or Stratos Blue.

To be convinced that Land Rover never mentioned Pastel Green, I would like to see an early/mid SIII colour chart, for comparison.

There are several online, but all are undated, I've never seen one saying pastel green.