News:

Get ready for the heat wave  ...

Main Menu

Steering wheel refurb

Started by Littlelegs, Jun 22, 2024, 08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Littlelegs

I removed my series 2a steering wheel this week to check the condition, clean it up a bit and see what repairs were needed. There are some deep cracks near the spokes and bits chipped off. I'm wondering whether it's actually a doable diy repair. I've read some have done repairs using resin or milliput. I'm looking for advice/inspiration on how easy this is to do and whether folk think mine is doable.
Apologies for the image size but it's the only way I could show the cracks in detail. They are all at the spokes on both sides.
1963 Series 2a 88 petrol

Uffddd

If you've got the budget for it then there are a couple of companies out there that will mould a new grip onto the wheel for you. Otherwise, yeah fill the cracks with some sort of resin and then paint.

Littlelegs

Yeah, I've seen a couple of companies do refurbs and had a quote from Charlesworth's which isn't cheap. They do look a good finish though. I just wondered how doable it is as a diy and what people have used and whether mine is too far gone.
1963 Series 2a 88 petrol

Kaney

Coopers classics did mine and very reasonable got them off Facebook

Kaney

Before and after pictures

Littlelegs

Nice. What did they use?
1963 Series 2a 88 petrol

Dopey

I did mine used epoxy resin and put a leather stitched cover on it, turned out fine, before restored and with the cover, wasn't that hard, but fiddly cost was the primer paint (spray) and cover about £30 in all

geoff

Best to cut / grind out the cracks to get the filler material in.
I used milliput which works really well.
Once filled you hit the time consuming stage of smoothing it all back to correct profile and good surface finish.
Painted and it is job done.
Easily DIY but as said it can be quite time consuming.

simon1959

Quote from: Littlelegs on Jun 22, 2024, 08:58 PMI removed my series 2a steering wheel this week to check the condition, clean it up a bit and see what repairs were needed. There are some deep cracks near the spokes and bits chipped off. I'm wondering whether it's actually a doable diy repair. I've read some have done repairs using resin or milliput. I'm looking for advice/inspiration on how easy this is to do and whether folk think mine is doable.
Apologies for the image size but it's the only way I could show the cracks in detail. They are all at the spokes on both sides.

Mine was in very similar condition to yours. I used milliput and it worked really well. As posted, time consuming but very satisfying. I had bought a leather cover, but the finish was so good i didn't need it.

Sunny Jim

The biggest problem is that the rim wears away after the coating fails, and a DIY job can't fix that. I had one done by Myrtle, which was fantastic - they even repaired two broken spokes at the boss for no extra cost. I  believe that Charlesworth don't re-finish the boss,  whereas Myrtle do. Both re-mould the rim, so the wheel is otherwise as good as new.

I also repaired a badly beaten up (not by me!) boss by dressing it back with a toffee hammer, and careful filing and polishing.

Sunny Jim

Littlelegs

Thanks for the suggestions.
I may give milliput a go for now as there's plenty of other bits need spending on. Charlesworth and Myrtle refurbs are fairly costly at £350 and £550 plus vat. At worst, if it doesn't work I can look at sending it off to one of them.
1963 Series 2a 88 petrol

JohnR2

I'm also in two minds at the moment, whether to get my cracked wheel professionally restored or have a go myself - I think I'll do it myself this time with an option for sending it off if I'm not happy with the results. 

Wittsend

Your wheel doesn't seem so bad, I've seen worse. Should be fixable at home with and epoxy putty/glue.
I've used Araldite with good results. Sand back and prime. Then undercoats. I use red as then when the top coat wears you can see it. Topped off with a couple of good coats of gloss black. Let the paint dry for as long as you can before fitting.

:RHD

Kaney

Quote from: Littlelegs on Jun 25, 2024, 07:48 PMThanks for the suggestions.
I may give milliput a go for now as there's plenty of other bits need spending on. Charlesworth and Myrtle refurbs are fairly costly at £350 and £550 plus vat. At worst, if it doesn't work I can look at sending it off to one of them.
Mine with Coopers classics was around £150 can't remember exactly

Uffddd

Quote from: Littlelegs on Jun 25, 2024, 07:48 PMThanks for the suggestions.
Myrtles prices must have gone up, they did mine last year for about £400 including VAT.