What you did with your Series 2 Land Rover in July

Started by Wittsend, Jul 01, 2024, 08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wittsend

Done anything interesting today ???

:monopoly_money

Porkscratching

Don't know about interesting, but used it to drag a couple of old engines (one at a time) uphill across a small field to where a mate could realistically get his van and load 'em in the back.
We used a hefty sheet of metal as a "sledge" chained to the LR (rather than drag the engines thru the dirt) with a man on either side to ensure the engines stayed upright-ish on their short ride.
As is often the case, they'd have been a bit stuck without a LR available, as I wouldn't fancy the van's chances of getting off the field with a couple of engines on board
All good fun...

Gareth

Took advantage of a free afternoon. Gave the 109 a bit of a minor service, and tidied up a few jobs that needed doing.

Adjusted the drag link to centre the steering wheel after a new relay was fitted a few weeks ago. Only needed a small adjustment to alter the wheel position quite a lot! Trial and error got it central.

Replaced the fuel pipe from the pump to carburettor. It was showing signs of perishing.

Wiped down a few oil leaks on the gearbox to see if I can spot where they are coming from.

Check tightened all the U bolts on the axles.

Oiled the throttle linkage.

Dropped a few drops of oil onto distributor shaft.

Tightened the exhaust down pipe to manifold nuts which had worked a bit loose.

Kept me happy for a few hours 👍

Andrew

Nathan came round yesterday to give me some moral/mental support.
We dropped in this reconditioned engine that I purchased from Calum last April. I think it was rebuilt ~2019 and has sat waiting since.
We'd actually fired it up once, for a few seconds, jerry-rigged without cooling, on an engine stand, with some success, last May.
After spending the showery day ramming it in, by about 8:30 PM we'd bodged in enough cooling and wires to do a test run,
with Nathan's fingers working the carb throttle directly.

It fired on the 1st turnover and after a minute of running we dropped the RPM to about 500 and it just ticked over happily.
Andrew

Alan Drover

Dog walking and visit to the dog café again.
The filling station next to the café now sells Jet petrol at 7p per litre cheaper than the Shell station near me and now sell E5 which wasn't on offer when it was a Total station. I brimmed the tank with 5.14 gallons of Jet Ultra unleaded and as it's on my dog walk route I'll use it in future without having to do the 2 mile round trip to it.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Littlelegs

Had a play filling the steering wheel cracks with milliput. A bit fiddly and messy but I'm quite pleased with the initial results. The worst spoke had a chunk missing and I've had to form that as best I could. Some areas need a bit more milliput and then the whole lot sanding, priming and painting. If it looks horrific when I've done I'll have a rethink, but so far it's looking fairly positive. Cheers to those that recommended milliput. :cheers
1963 Series 2a 88 petrol

simonbav

I made a new "bottom panel wing valance" 330443 and fitted it to the n/s wing, then offered the wing to the bulkhead and rad panel. I was frustrated to find my routing of the brake pipe from the flexi is nowhere near compatible with the wing so with the wing back off I'll anneal the pipe and alter it. Does anyone have a photo showing the ideal routing to get back under the wing from the flexi with an original S2 chassis please?

The first image is looking down upon the top of n/s chassis leg inside the wing with the pipe running to the flexi.

The second photo is inside the wing looking toward the flexi bracket, the yellow line shows vertical.

Having compared with Rusty's posted photo I can see mines not so different. A small bend to my pipe and maybe cut an arch for clearance in the lower edge of the wing.
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

sheepman

having just got back from a 2 week holiday and thought I would take the 2A out for a run - only to find fluid all over the floor and paint peeling off of the footwell and floor panel.
Yup, the brake master cylinder had been leaking for the time we were away, all the paint under the floor and lower outer bulkhead had slid off.
Now it's clearing up and repainting and a change in bmc - not something I had planned....

Andrew

Thought I would take the opportunity while the cab floor is up, to change the clutch shaft bushing and housing, as there was quite a bit of play in it, and I'd successfully gathered all the parts, or so I'd thought.

Turns out that a whole lot of the wear is on the shaft, so changing only the bushing would still have left a lot of play afterwards.
Also, it turns out that for the last 35 years or more the vehicle has been operating with one of the clevis pins sheared in two places, with the lower bit held in place only by its friction fit, and the upper part by friction and gravity. I don't understand how that worked so well without it all coming loose. The middle bit of the pin is wedged/rusted in the middle of the shaft, even though the whole thing is soaked in gearbox oil and oily grime, and no amount of drifting will get it out. Another order gone in to PA Blanchards for a new shaft and 2 new pins.
Andrew

Oddjob

Popped out.

Wittsend

Peter Holden

I did a tip run for my son yesterday.   YOD started first time and ran very well.  I need to have a ride next week for some fuel

Peter

Adam1958

Finally found time to put all the gearbox bits back together... and then went through the receipts to tot it all up. £1162 quids worth of new stuff. Which feels like a lot, but everything which could be was NOS. Oh, those HNJ engineering gaskets are amazing quality. Also the special nut they make is really nicely made.
Now to store it till the winter. Anyone got any tips on storing them? I was going to fill it right up with a load of spare SAE 30 oil that I don't actually need. Garage is insulated (ish) and I've put rubber bungs on the breathers so I guess that's enough?

diffwhine

Looks good.
I wouldn't worry too much about storage just for a few months. I rebuilt an 80" freewheel box a year ago for a friend and he can't take it yet. Since then it's been sitting on the bench in my garage quite happily filled with the proper EP90 oil. All I do is every now and then I spin the shafts and flanges to throw a bit of oil about.

I would not seal it up though - let it breath or it could build up some condensation which may lead to problems.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Littlelegs

Simonbav,
I was pottering today so took a couple of images of the front brake pipe routing through the front wings on my 1963 swb. Hopefully these may help you. The first one is the near side, the other 2 are the offside. I've no idea if that's how they should be, but it's how they are on mine.
1963 Series 2a 88 petrol