What you did with your Series 2 Land Rover in July

Started by Wittsend, Jul 01, 2024, 08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathanglasgow

I think if I go any faster than grannies on bicycles the paint will fall off.  :pedal

Peter Holden

Started on removing my steering relay this morning, so far everything has come out and nothing has broken

Peter

Kaney

Brought the hardtop and catflap back from Herefordshire good 300 mile plus round trip and the top never moved on the trailer lots of straps cushions etc
Now its here I have just ordered new rubbers for the bolts as well as some bolts that are missing but all the brackets are there and I have bought new top to tub seals along with top to windscreen and door seals as mine where shot so used the clubs discount at Paddocks so hopefully I will have a go and trying to suss were everything goes I have looked at the Haynes book along with a British Leyland 2A parts book but everything is not clear as it just shows the bolts with nuts rubbers washers etc but nothing to were things go and YouTube has plenty of tops coming off but not in detail unlike the ones fitting a canvas top so I will go and find one to have a look at somewhere.

Alan Drover

A pleasant 47 mile round trip with the dog for company along B roads and narrow country lanes and a short burst of A roads to take my broken diff to Tadley Transmissions for evaluation.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Peter Holden

Test drive this morning.  I can't believe the difference the new relay has made

Peter

Wittsend

Washed away 3 years of moss, algae and pigeon poo from the roof in readiness for selling the Panda camper on.... Scrubbed up better than I thought.

TimV

I adjusted the brakes last week, on a run out on Monday they were no better.

So today, took the wheels and drums off. Cleaned out the insides. Then pressed in the trailing shoe, clamped the flexi hose and adjusted the leading shoe - no distraction of the trailing shoe dragging. Moved the wheels front to back. Now I have a sold pedal, rather than a long press.

Dormy

Collected my latest acquisition.
Well it was actually driven to mine by the seller - no less than Wittsend himself.

Ready to leave home: -
You cannot view this attachment.

New home, new friends: -
You cannot view this attachment.

Those of you who spotted the oil on the drive and thought the LtWt. had marked it's territory already. Actually we had a bit of an accident with the spare gearbox that came with it and turned out to be full of EP90 when we thought it was empty !
"I'm sorry for the man who hears the pipes, and who wisnae born in Scotland."

Archie

I've got bog standard mud flaps on the Landie.

So, I printed out a LR logo and traced it onto some clear mylar, cut it out and made a stencil.

A couple of coats of PlastiDip aerosol and voila!
Archie

Peter Holden

Sad times when Alan (Wittsend) is getting rid of his fleet

On a more positive note I have been sorting a wiring gremlin this afternoon.  I think I traced it to a broken connection which I have fixed (I have a home brewed wiring loom with lots of fuses).  I was perusing where to mount another fuse box after everything was sorted.

Peter

Wittsend

Here's an idea. Instead of another fuse box, you could replace the Lucas 4FJ with a Lucas 7FJ. This gives you 4 separately fused outlets ???

Peter Holden

lan, I have more fuses than you can imagine
Peter

Gritstoner

Oil & filter change in readiness for our trip to the club rally.  Just need to check the gearbox, steering box, axle and swivel levels and grease the props and we're ready for the off😊

Littlelegs

A voyage of discovery this week on the landy.
Carried on with the steering wheel refurb, with some sanding, filler primer, more sanding, grey primer and then some black gloss. Followed by a bit more light sanding as I wasn't fully happy with the finish😀. Got to apply some more black gloss and then lacquer.

Removed the tow hitch to check what state the rear cross member was in behind it. Took way longer than expected and found that where the tub fits to the cross member has corroded and a previous owner has put 2 spreader plates behind to bypass the issue. Can't quite work out how to replace this piece yet. The tow ball and hitch plate cleaned up nicely though.

Also noticed that the rear tub end pieces have had an inch wide strip of plate riveted to the bottom on both sides so looks like I'll be learning how to replace these panels too.

Took a look at both horns and got them working, cleaned, primed and painted.

Had a look at the fairey free wheeling hub caps today. The drivers side came off easy enough but had oil in the cap, so guessing there's a leak somewhere. The offside won't come off yet as the grub screw is seized solid, so brushed some diesel into it and hoping to get it moving and see what that's like inside.

A productive ish week, if not a little frustrating.
1963 Series 2a 88 petrol

Alan Drover

I have one Fairey fwh 10 spline if you have any problems with yours.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"