News:

... and the sky is gray   

Main Menu

Safari roof headlining

Started by s2c-08616, Jul 01, 2024, 03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s2c-08616

The headlining (roof lining?) is in reasonable shape for its age, but the material is quite delicate. Is there a solution to make it more pliable, so I can effect repairs.  Or does anyone supply replacements?
Jessie - 1964 SWB 2A.

Mycroft

I've done 2 very different roof lining replacements.

The first, cheap and cheerful, is 4-way stretch fabric in biscuit/barley colour, which looks great and works well.

The second is import a like-for-like replacement liner replacement from Chris Badger in the US - see https://www.badgercoachworks.com/index_files/Page1619.htm. Painful and tricky to fit, but looks great.

1964 88" Canvas Top ACR Petrol
1979 88" Truck cab Petrol Series III

malcolm

Had to do the rear recently, not by choice, was trying to squeeze oversized cut plywood in the rear caught the vinyl with a corner of timber tore the vinyl.
Ordered some white vinyl from Woolies which is more off white and a good match.
Local alteration place stitched the ends  for the metal inserts  relatively straightforward cut vent holes after fitting, the front I have not done and I'd imagine would be tricky especially doing it in situ.

NoBeardNoTopKnot

I've linked to LaSalle before and as 70s T-shirts would say "Wrap you @£$% in fibreglass" 'cos never beaten...  plant your radio/ head unit and 4 x speakers up there too - LaSalle.

Linky: Wrap your...

Craig T

You could try just washing the material with some soap and see if that helps soften it up a bit.

The roof lining in my 1967 one had survived remarkably well so I laid it out on a large sheet of timber and washed it down with warm water and some soap. Once dry I flipped it over and glued patches of material onto the back over any tears. Copydex adhesive or impact adhesive works well.

Once that was all dry, I flipped it over and spray painted it with white vinyl paint from Frosts. Straight from the can, no thinners, sprayed on and left to dry in the sun.
All the steel rails were cleaned and sprayed with Halfords white primer then their appliance white. The front and rear trim panels mounted on the boards were treated the same way, just cleaned and sprayed with the vinyl paint.

Results are pretty good for what is now 57 year old material.

Craig.

Mycroft

Outstanding results Craig  :cheers-man
1964 88" Canvas Top ACR Petrol
1979 88" Truck cab Petrol Series III

malcolm

Craig
Did you manage to hide the tear OK thought about patching but thought the line would be noticeable, was hacked off at the time should have just paid B&Q for delivery.
I also sprayed the front previously with the Vinyl spray from frost as the staining was still noticeable after cleaning. 

Craig T

You can still see a few tears in the material if you go looking for them so no, not 100% hidden but gluing a patch on the reverse side, ties the material back together and stops it tearing any further. I think you can get flexible vinyl fillers as well if you needed to fill any gaps although I didn't do that.

My Land Rover is aging nicely like a fine wine. The restoration was finished in the very late 1990's / early 2000's and it's settling down nicely now. It has the odd paint chip, few rust spots on the hinges and wheels and the trim fits in with it as well now.
All the elephant hide trim in there is original just treated the same way as the roof lining. I removed the seat covers, glued patches on the inside of any damage and refitted them. Evidence of a few tears and dents in the roof lining fits with the seats and I think new material might look a bit obvious now?

It's certainly not a working vehicle but not a concours vehicle either.  :cheers-man
I would however, be mortified like you if I accidently caused further damage.

Craig.