I feel the beat of rain
The wind, an icy blast-
The nights are drawing in.

Main Menu

Exmoor trim hood life expectancy

Started by Gareth, Jul 05, 2024, 08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mycroft

I recently built a Heath Robinson contraption to give my rear tub tonneau a vaguely curved shape, to minimise the ponding that was stretching the fabric and requiring regular water scooping. The issue I found was that if there were any gaps, you still got ponding and any significant touching of the material to my frame acted as a trap for moisture and damp issues beneath.

I don't know the economics of the mohair tilts, but if the boat world example holds, you'd think there would be a decent market opportunity for one of the smaller canvas workers to replicate a tilt in a thicker, more water-proofed, longer-lasting material.
1964 88" Canvas Top ACR Petrol
1979 88" Truck cab Petrol Series III

NoBeardNoTopKnot

Quote from: Boris60 on Jul 08, 2024, 11:29 AM....longevity of the product must be substantially greater than the price increase.

I'm curious to know where you've seen that.   Double the quality; or double the life; or twice as fast normally comes in at three, four, maybe five times the price.

When we want all three, it's x 10.

The rule is: cheap, good or fast? Pick two.

whitehillbilly64

A mate of mine imported to Aus an expensive mohair tilt for his Defender.
After two years the stitching began letting go.
He contacted the UK company who denied the problem saying, it has never happened before.
He ended up taking it to a local sail repairer.
They suggested the Thread had no UV rating.
Few years later now and no issues.

whitehillbilly

chughes5

My exmoor trim hood is 4 years old, so far been happy with it.

I proofed it with fabsil inside and out including the straps when it was new.

It lives outside, been holding up ok so far.

Biggest issue has been mold - needed to scrub it down with white vinegar at the end of the winter to shift it.

Reading this forum reminded me I had been meaning to re-proof it - so just popped out and did that

whitehillbilly64

I have some black spot mold on the white tape of my Canvas.
Is White vinegar the go to for killing it.
Any white Vinegar? What is the best dilution rate?
Wet in Aus this year.
Thanks.

whitehillbilly

chughes5

i used it neat

sarsons white vinegar

i used a coulpe of bottles and a scrubbing brush - but my mold was pretty bad all over the roof

expected it to smell like a chip shop for months afterwards but smell went very quickly

not sure if its the best approach or if it does any damage longer term, but it definately shifted the mold and the roof seems to have survived

NoBeardNoTopKnot

I would guess vinegar works well, only vinegar is a weak acid. Acetic-acid in the finish. Pickling vinegar is stronger. You'll likely be fine, only not worth chancing it, better to flush well afterwards.

whitehillbilly64