News:

Summer is here ...   

Main Menu

2.25 petrol not running well

Started by alex1987, Jul 11, 2024, 11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

autorover1

I was at a car rally this last weekend & a RSR member had a total ignition failure on his early P4 6 cylinder . We eventually found it was a crack in a red rotor arm & the HT was  shorting to the distributer spindle . Managed to get it running with some  gasket cement and a plastic "washer" as an isolator pushed up inside the rotor.

alex1987

Thanks Alan. I have been looking on their website.
Are you able to point me in the right direction of which part number I need or am I best to call them? Although I have had my series a number of years, I am a novice when it comes to knowing what's what with model numbers etc.

Alan Drover

Just tell them what distributor you have.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

diffwhine

Quote from: Alan Drover on Jul 19, 2024, 02:18 PMJust tell them what distributor you have.

And if you aren't sure, just take a photo and one of us will identify it for you.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Alan Drover

Somewhere on the casting is a number. It should be a 25D4. Presumably it's a genuine Lucas and not a nasty Chinese copy.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

alex1987

Thank you. Here's a quick photo. If it's no good to identify from that I will have a look for some numbers when I get a chance. I don't know if it's genuine or not as it's not something I have replaced.

diffwhine

Need to double check that. I think it's a later Lucas 45D distributor or something very like it. Can you pop the distributor cap off and take a photo of the points/contacts?

Wittsend

Pretty certain I know what it is ...

Can we have a picture from the front and one with the cap off showing the rotor arm and base plate.

Whatever - that doesn't appear to be a Chinese electronic distributor.

:Lucas-25D

diffwhine

If it is a 45D, I'm awash with Lucas points, condensers caps and probably genuine rotor arms for those. Might save you a few pfennigs if you want to go down that route.

Alan Drover

Definitely a 45D4, no adjustable vacuum advance. What's the number on the casting?
Diffwhine I could do with a cap please.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Alan Drover

Definitely doesn't look like a Chinese copy either. I've got one somewhere bought in a mindless moment (emergency) and none of its parts are of any use whatsoever and the Distributor Doctor won't touch it so it's on its way to the scrapheap.
I've got a proper 2.5 45D4 as a spare.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

alex1987

Glad to hear it's not a Chinese knock off! I'll have a look for some numbers on it later.
Thank you.

Alan Drover

That large rivet on the rotor arm is a definite source of problems. You should be able to turn the rotor arm a fraction anticlockwise and it should spring back proving the bobweight springs are working and if it's a Series 3 distributor the serial number is 5069. If not the Distributor Doctor can rebuild it to suit your engine if you give him the full details of it.
At least get a proper rotor arm and see if there's an improvement.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Wittsend

You definitely need to get rid of that rotor arm. If it's not the source of your troubles it soon could be.

You need a rotor arm as seen at the right hand end of this row of arms, labelled ? ? ? ...

Preferably a red arm from the DD.

I see you have the PowerSparks electronic ignition unit, it shouldn't give you any problems.
I also see there's a bit alloy corrosion and white dust - the dizzy body needs a good wipe down.
Inside the dizzy, and under the base plate it should all be clean as a Swiss watch workings.

The Lucas D45 dizzy is sort of OK and is/was not as good as the correct Series 2 Lucas D25 dizzy. The 45Ds were a Series 3 fitting.
With the 25D you have an advance/retard adjusting screw which makes fine tuning of the ignition a dodle.
With the D45 you have to release the clamp and "guess" how far to turn the dizzy.

:Lucas-25D

Alan Drover

Wittsend, as the distributor is a 45D4 shouldn't the correct rotor arm be the red one on the left which is the correct one for a 45D4? The rotor arm in the photo is definitely the wrong one for a 45D4. The left hand one is what is fitted to my 45D4's, even the rubbish Chinese copy (which doesn't have the red one).
Open to correction if wrong.
"Ça plane pour moi!"