News:

Summer is here ...   

Main Menu

Ramp/lift

Started by JPH, Jul 14, 2024, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPH

Thanks again, very helpful info.  :cheers-man

CS Wagon:   Were you a chippy before retirement?   If so,  I think you bought a 88" project off me years ago ,near Stroud !

Can you fit a Jacking beam as a option to the ramp you linked, do you know?    as that would be perfect. 

JPH

Big ask I know people:    Any photos of the ramps/lifts  with roofs that go up with the vehicle?     as looking for ideas for how to do this. 

diffwhine

Unfortunately not from me. The garage concerned closed about 30 years ago and the owner died last year.

From memory, it was just a series of uprights fitted to the bed at each corner with a light roof structure on top which lifted with the ramp. It was pretty basic, but worked. It also got round roof height issues with planning regs.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

cswagon

CS Wagon:   Were you a chippy before retirement?   If so,  I think you bought a 88" project off me years ago ,near Stroud !

Can you fit a Jacking beam as a option to the ramp you linked, do you know?    as that would be perfect. 
[/quote]

Yes, I was that man.
It had a 2.5 petrol with it IIRC.
I've bought so many projects over the years I couldn't remember them all even if my life depended on it but
I do remember yours. It turned out very nicely if I do say so myself and I pretty sure it went to a chap
on the forum back then.

You can buy a jacking beam to fit that ramp, I'm, pretty sure they are adjustable to suit the widths of
all the different runways.
However, trying to keep costs down, and having lots of offcuts of 18mm ply, I screwed 3 sheets together to
made up the thickness I needed, and they run along the inside edges of the runners.
You can see them in the photo I loaded.
They then take my trolley jack and a handy place to place drain tubs, etc.

I originally was going to have this outside because all the electrics, etc. are on one post so easy to drop
a sleeved cover over when not in use. The ram is under one of the runners so that's sheltered also.
It just seemed like a good idea was to build a garage around it the best that I could after it was installed.
That caused a few headaches as you can possibly see in the picture.

Hope that helps

Graham.
1971 Ser 11A 109 SW (flat packed) (now being driven daily)                                                         

1972 Ser 111 109 van (daily driver)...SOLD

Saga lout.

JPH

Quote from: cswagon on Jul 15, 2024, 07:22 PMCS Wagon:   Were you a chippy before retirement?   If so,  I think you bought a 88" project off me years ago ,near Stroud !

Yes, I was that man.
It had a 2.5 petrol with it IIRC.
I've bought so many projects over the years I couldn't remember them all even if my life depended on it but
I do remember yours. It turned out very nicely if I do say so myself and I pretty sure it went to a chap
on the forum back then.

You can buy a jacking beam to fit that ramp, I'm, pretty sure they are adjustable to suit the widths of
all the different runways.
However, trying to keep costs down, and having lots of offcuts of 18mm ply, I screwed 3 sheets together to
made up the thickness I needed, and they run along the inside edges of the runners.
You can see them in the photo I loaded.
They then take my trolley jack and a handy place to place drain tubs, etc.

I originally was going to have this outside because all the electrics, etc. are on one post so easy to drop
a sleeved cover over when not in use. The ram is under one of the runners so that's sheltered also.
It just seemed like a good idea was to build a garage around it the best that I could after it was installed.
That caused a few headaches as you can possibly see in the picture.

Hope that helps

Graham.
[/quote]

Good stuff,  I bought it flatpacked to play swapsies with a few bits for one of my longterm projects, did a bit to it and then advertised it on the club forum of the day for enough to cover my costs,  which is when we met.

Glad to hear your ok and still tinkering.  :cheers-man

Backfire

Quote from: Wittsend on Jul 15, 2024, 09:38 AMI believe there are convertor/invertor boxes of electronic bits that enable you to run 3 phase devices off the normal mains. At lot of the home lathe people use these when they buy from a closed down factory sale ???

:RHD

There is also the old trick of running a 3 Phase motor off a single phase supply by connecting a large capacitor e.g.10,000uF acosstwo of the motor terminals - it should run at the right speed and in the right direction  but may only develop 2/3 of it's rated power

Upnorth

I went through the thought process of do I buy a four post or two post 5 years ago.After much consideration I went for a two post,I considered the four post would restrict access with the ramps.It is a bit tight getting the 88 inch on but doable, my only regret is having the wire ropes above ground between the posts.This means work around the gearbox is a bit awkward.
Mine came from Garage Equipment on Line, I  went for the 4 ton model thinking that it was overkill but stronger and at the time had an L322.At 67 it is much easier to roll about laying down on a wheeled board than standing under a lift.

autorover1

Quote from: Upnorth on Jul 23, 2024, 10:38 AMI went through the thought process of do I buy a four post or two post 5 years ago.After much consideration I went for a two post,I considered the four post would restrict access with the ramps.It is a bit tight getting the 88 inch on but doable, my only regret is having the wire ropes above ground between the posts.This means work around the gearbox is a bit awkward.

youtube clips of LRtime show how the 2 poster was erected, outside  , putting the ropes in a channel giving a flat floor . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoPDl08Wu94

lurch032003

Well due to restrictions plus money , I ended up making a rolling crane which I built myself , it had two 180" swing arms but both connected together to create straight bar then two scaffold removable supports to top scaffolding rail.
I still got a few tweaks to do but I have had my 2 ton chain hoist fitted and it lifted out a 12j no problem and gently pushed it away from landy and did opposite with a 19j to go back in , I am going to fit support rails to create a bigger ground foot to avoid it tipping over as it near did when it hit a stone .
I used heavy duty 650kg each wheel and one lockable either side .
I do have a electric hoist to attach to it fir doing different lifts such as gearbox axels .
I also in process of making wooded Chanel which is pegged down so it run only straight forwards or back.
All in cost about £300 max as my uprights are two adjustable scaffold poles which can be raised higher or lower depending what I need to lift or move but it can raise them to about four meters ! But ten feet is all I have been sat .
My electric hoist is 240v straight plug into extension and can lift 750kg but double when using a split block so an raise frint of landy in air and put supports under it or rear or sides as can move it side to side also or as said swing item onto pallet or trolly dolley made for engine also on sane heavy duty casters so can easily put it about as don't have a concrete floor it inch thick ply one half and row of railway sleepers which landy is on inside and outside it a hard grit track . I also have a 2ton trolly crane which folds up out of way and my new crane is all nut and bolts so can be dismantled and put in trailer to use elsewhere if need be .
Just through this is the pot to be anther option
Hth will try add pics or will post up a different post with pics .
Hth