News:

... and the sky is grey

Main Menu

Outer rear tub finish question

Started by Mycroft, Jul 17, 2024, 04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mycroft

Hi, anyone know how these were originally finished? My 1964 is painted Marine Blue, but I'm guessing these were unfinished? Or not? Grateful for any knowledge on how they left the factory.
1964 88" Canvas Top ACR Petrol
1979 88" Truck cab Petrol Series III

gcc130

I think they were originally bare with some overspray, I don't think they are  painted on my '65

geoff

^^^^ Wot he said  :RHD  :RHD

Panted panels are a no-no

simonbav

I think Wittsend referred to a yellowing process a couple of weeks ago which I'm not sure I recall correctly that was applied to unpainted panel surfaces. Perhaps Diffwhine?
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

geoff

autorover1

Colour coat was certainly only on the outer panels & inside the body but  not under wheel arches or inside bonnet etc

Mycroft

Thanks all that's great. I'll strip this and leave bare or explore whether there are any ali protectors I should use - suggestions welcome.

:RHD  :cheers-man

Craig T

As mentioned, the sheets of aluminium they were made from had a gold coloured coating, Alodine or Alocrom finish. We used to use Alocrom 1200 at work but it is being removed from use now as it contains chromium which is pretty nasty stuff.

The alocrom / Alodine finish acts as a primer as well as a corrosion resistance coating. That is why you don't see any signs of primer under the colour on original series Land Rovers.

Any colour on the inside / underside of the various panels was just overspray from the painting of the outside faces. Tubs and hard top panels were painted before being assembled so dome head rivets are bare ally coloured. Bonnets and door panels were assembled them painted so dome head rivets were painted over.

Craig.

Mycroft

Cheers Craig,

Is there an aftermarket product that would protect the bare ali when I strip this badly applied paint off? Maybe Owatrol. Or should I just leave it?

Craig T

That is a difficult one.
On my IIA SW I took the decision at the time to prime and paint it so everything is limestone, inside and out, top and bottom. That was a decision made many years ago now, I may not do it again these days.

I'm not sure to be honest what you can do and even if protecting the bare ally is needed. Will bare aluminium corrode on it's own and not near steel?

I will need to make this same decision soon for my series one. I'd like to leave that bare underneath and replicate the overspray finish but not sure how easy cleaning the ally to an acceptable level will be. Glass bead blasting it clean would work but the finish will be a matt, textured finish, not the smooth, grained, rolled finish of the original.

Maybe a silver / paint with a hint of gold added could be mixed up to look like the alocrom finish?

Craig.

Mycroft

Thanks. Good points all. Think I'll leave it.

James