Keeping LWB 1967? Help with the gearbox issue and local assistance would be invaluable

Started by s2c-08660, Jul 21, 2024, 10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s2c-08660

Thank you for all your advice Well I have decided to keep the long wheelbase Land Rover and sell the short wheelbase one. If anybody's interested £2200 as that is what cost me.
The long wheelbase is a 1967 I believe am still awaiting the logbook. I was told it was one of 30 that came from the factory painted orange for a pylon company I believe. Once I have the logbook I will apply for the history of the vehicle.
My thoughts at the moment are to order a galvanised chassis as the original chassis is full of patches and rot and I galvanised one delivered is £2100 this includes the chassis number placed on it.
I know the body panels are in good condition.
Unknown what condition the caption winches in.
Believe it's got an overdrive but do not understand the gearbox which is faulty but trying to make sense of the levers has confused me would like to know if there's anybody local Penketh who would be able to give me some eyes/hands on advice I don't mean getting dirty just advice, as it is difficult to do everything with pictures. I also need to swap the gearbox out which is faulty but I do have a spare.
Not sure what is about old Land Rover is that kids into your blood and under your skin but I do like them and this one if it turns out to be orange from factory means are been tangoed.
Also can anybody recommend a series Land Rover garage who keeps the nuts and bolts and bits and pieces in the Penketh area as I think I might require to spend some money with them.

The other reason I believe that the vehicle was originally painted orange is the galvanised top bits of the tub are orange beneath them and we look to be original.

I just added some more pictures I hope that of got the right area to put this information on the forum.

AlexB

For those who don't know, Penketh is near Warrington, twixt L'pool and Manch

There must be a few members in that neck of the woods

WHen might the next pub meet be and where is it ? Might be worth our man coming to it?

Wittsend

&  to the Forum.

Our North West area is quite active and there must be some local members who could advise.

I can confirm that you have a Fairey Overdrive unit fitted.

I wish you luck asking the DVLA for the vehicle's history. The days when they would scan all the V5 registration info on a vehicle have long since gone  :shakinghead
Data protection and all that nonsense.

You can ask, but don't expect much.

You can check the factory build cards at the Gaydon Motor Museum, just down the M6 from you.
Or ask Mycroft our Vehicle Database Officer as he makes frequent trips to Gaydon.

You only get basic information. This will confirm the build and dispatch date and it will include the receiving dealer's details. This can be a big clue as to where the vehicle was sent/first used, as can the reg number.

:RHD

Serious Series

What is the lever bolted next to high low lever ? Does it actually operate overdrive , definately a previous owner modification if it does not normally like that.

simonbav

I'd recommend LROE Ltd. for their large selection of sheradized fixings. A good selection of 1/4" & 5/16" UNF nuts, bolts and washers for a start, have been invaluable on my two projects, mail order.

https://www.lroe.co.uk/
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

s2c-08660

thank you are all the replies
 I to do not know would the handle on the gearbox is, I was hoping that someone here would know.
Also I was looking for a local place for parts Peterborough is to far away as I may need 1 or 2 bolts there and then.

I will order a new chassis on Monday from Shielder Chassis I think £2100,00 is a good price all in and delivered.

Craig T

Someone has indeed modified that transfer box to make the 4WD mechanism, lever operated rather than spring operated. Not a bad idea to be honest as the spring loaded shafts do get stuck occasionally.

So the rod with the ball and eye on it at the front of the transfer box need to be forward for high range. You will then need to jack up one front wheel and spin the wheel while moving that other lever. If the wheel spins freely, you are in 2WD. If it doesn't, you are in 4WD. Hopefully you can find a position where the transfer box is in high range, 2WD.

The overdrive also needs to be in gear. That also has a neutral position and if the OD is in neutral you will go nowhere. That does indeed look like a Fairey overdrive but again, the linkage looks wrong, probably home made.

What is the Letter at the end of the chassis number? If it is post April 1967 it will have a chassis suffix of D. I'm guessing it is Suffix D as the window wipers come through the bulkhead beneath the screen.
The headlights are not civilian types.

Craig.

Serious Series

Quote from: Craig T on Jul 22, 2024, 08:35 AMSomeone has indeed modified that transfer box to make the 4WD mechanism, lever operated rather than spring operated. Not a bad idea to be honest as the spring loaded shafts do get stuck occasionally.

So the rod with the ball and eye on it at the front of the transfer box need to be forward for high range. You will then need to jack up one front wheel and spin the wheel while moving that other lever. If the wheel spins freely, you are in 2WD. If it doesn't, you are in 4WD. Hopefully you can find a position where the transfer box is in high range, 2WD.

The overdrive also needs to be in gear. That also has a neutral position and if the OD is in neutral you will go nowhere. That does indeed look like a Fairey overdrive but again, the linkage looks wrong, probably home made.

What is the Letter at the end of the chassis number? If it is post April 1967 it will have a chassis suffix of D. I'm guessing it is Suffix D as the window wipers come through the bulkhead beneath the screen.

Craig.
Quote from: Craig T on Jul 22, 2024, 08:35 AMSomeone has indeed modified that transfer box to make the 4WD mechanism, lever operated rather than spring operated. Not a bad idea to be honest as the spring loaded shafts do get stuck occasionally.

Craig.
I would think the modification can be reversed, any front output assembly can be fitted if it cannot be reversed.I may have one will have to check ,laid up at the moment due to shoulder operation.

s2c-08660

Craig you are right the chassis has a D suffix. the gearbox is damaged and I will be changing it out.

Craig T

Might be worth a chat with Mark, Diffwhine as he has a hobby rebuilding gearboxes for club members....  :RHD

Might be easier to rebuild what you have as there as you know it fits. There are a few changes throughout the production and later ones have very different clutch arrangements.

Craig.

s2c-08660

diffwhine

1965 2A 88" Station Wagon