What you did with your Series 2 in August

Started by Wittsend, Aug 01, 2024, 01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seanlandy

Forgive my ignorance, Mark. I assume that you painted the chassis first then the Lanoguard is sprayed on once all is cured? I am about to just do some hammeriting on the easy to get to bit, bearing in mind the LW is still together. Well, sort of!

Peter Holden

I use a lanolin based one called lanoshield on both the land rover and the Romahome.  I keep some in a squinty spray and every time I go underneath I give that area a do

Peter

diffwhine

Quote from: Seanlandy on Aug 30, 2024, 04:05 PMForgive my ignorance, Mark. I assume that you painted the chassis first then the Lanoguard is sprayed on once all is cured? I am about to just do some hammeriting on the easy to get to bit, bearing in mind the LW is still together. Well, sort of!

No this is just giving an old vehicle its annual dose. The chassis is not painted and probably won't be now as it has two or three year's worth of layers of Lanoguard on it, so it would need to be stripped and acid dipped to be able to get any paint to stick.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Seanlandy

Ah right. Thank you. When I have finished welding in patches and painted with red oxide and black smootherite, it sounds like a good plan maybe to begin the lanoguard spraying ritual.

diffwhine

Sounds like a plan.
My recent experience with Smoothrite, suggests that you cannot rely on it alone. Something like Dinitrol (much more expensive but last longer) or Lanoguard as an annual treatment.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Alan Drover

I noticed that the hand brake gaiter was torn and wondered if the retaining screws which looked as though they'd been undisturbed since 1975 when the Series 3 was built would move.
To my amazement all loosened easily. I'll get a decent gaiter from Emberton.
Getting ready to go to a local vintage tractor event today after collecting my sharpened chain saw chain.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Seanlandy

Are you hedge laying with your new chain, or chopping up vintage tractors? ???

Alan Drover

Tidying up an unruly hedge in my garden later when all the leaves are gone.
I always keep a spare chain.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"