What you did with your Series 2 in August

Started by Wittsend, Aug 01, 2024, 01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

Horizon pas net, reste à la buvette!

I had my roof off for about 3 days about 10 days ago, then I bolted it all back on again last friday for a weekend trip to the Borders. Not much of a "wind in the hair" summer this year.
Andrew

Dormy

Mostly just chilled at the Fakenham rally today.

"I'm sorry for the man who hears the pipes, and who wisnae born in Scotland."

Alan Drover

This arrived from Emberton today with the luxury of a chain. It's a very tight fit and there's a lug on the radiator panel in the second photo to which the chain is attached. Enclosed too was a spare washer that goes under the cap so I replaced the worn one on the old cap so now I've a spare.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Ken

After 19 months from a basket case I'm beginning to get there.

s2c-08616

Got my Paddocks delivery today. Who would have thought that there are so many ways to install the exhaust hinge brackets!
So, exhaust done. Next, steering. Got the kit. Hinges wirebrushed and primer on. Pics soon.
Jessie - 1964 SWB 2A.

RATA1

Popped a few things back on. (New) OD bracket, earth strap and handbrake. Made the error of not putting the handbrake arm on before putting the gearbox in so had to take the rusty bracket off. Note for next time...
Got a spring from the handbrake that I don't know where it goes but enough for tonight.
S2 88
D4 XXV

simonbav

The handbrake spring goes to a tab on the rear of the handbrake drum in the workshop manual. Like yours, my 1960 had a tab on the vertical activating lever so I put a tab under one of the gearbox mount bolts. I'll dig out a photo.
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

RATA1

Yes mine is that tab (that I have now found) on the gb mount. I'll get that on later.
Thanks!
S2 88
D4 XXV

Diesel66

nathanglasgow

Made it to Skye yesterday. The usual wind and rain :ranting. At least the wind is keeping the midge away. Today is the only half decent day this week so our week long walking holiday may be cut short. I'm thinking head over to the East Coast on Monday (Cairngorms) as its a bit less wet and do some walking there instead. Our daughter has asked if we would consider moving to the Southampton area where she lives, reflecting on the summer Scotland has had, I'm close to saying yes. Still the 109 used no oil and gave 19mpg,not too bad I think

GlenAnderson

We ran down from Loch Ness to Arran on Friday. Only about 150 miles, but a seven hour journey with traffic on the A82, then simply the roads meaning 45-50 mph being a maximum not a cruise, plus the wait for a ferry. Once on the island the last 30 odd miles took an hour and a quarter.

A two nights and a day on the island catching up with very old friends, and a lucky bit of timing to catch the Highland Games and marching bands.

You cannot view this attachment.

You cannot view this attachment.

On the ferry now for the start of the long run south. Planned overnight at Matlock, and home tomorrow.

Dazzerpig

Not today but Thursday,received this little beauty.Maer chassis,3 1/2 weeks from ordering through Paddocks,got my 10% off plus points added to my account.

Betsy1969

Pulled her out of the garage to investigate what might have caused the gear change problems on my last trip out. After getting her indoors to act as clutch pedal assistant I decided to adjust the pushrod from the slave cylinder as there seemed to be a lot of slack before contact was made with the piston. I turned it about half a turn and tightened the lock nut. No time to road test today but first chance I get I will.

Andy

TugboatTim

To complete the rebuild of my 11" front brakes I received this parcel today from P A Blanchard. They were difficult to source so should have asked them first.
Genuine Lucas Girling brake shoe steady posts. Quick delivery and beautifully packaged - I don't wrap my Christmas gifts that neatly. Thanks guys  :cheers-man
The path of my life is strewn with cow pats from the devil's own satanic herd

RATA1

Put everything back on yesterday and took it out for a shake down today.
Nothing fell off but the OD was leaking from the gasket as when I drove on the drive I had regular drops of oil in a nice arc!
Took it off and trimmed the bolts slightly in case they couldn't pull the OD tight enough (as my holes aren't fully threaded).
Refitted with a new gasket (greased), refilled the OD and went out again.
Still leaks!
Correct torque (34Nm). Can't figure out why  it is leaking. All the faces are clean and free of damage and the PTO cover never leaked.

Anyone else had issues with a Roamerdrive on an 1961 transfer case?
Other that that it works fine but I have run out of gaskets  :(
S2 88
D4 XXV