What you did with your Series 2 in August

Started by Wittsend, Aug 01, 2024, 01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Series2ajosh

Quote from: Alan Drover on Aug 13, 2024, 10:37 PMTo fit a D1 diff you'd have to change the complete rear axle. A Salisbury diff is much stronger than the Rover one but difficult to replace the pinion seal as special tools are needed to set the preload. You can't just tighten the nut.

Only if a Salisbury is fitted to the rear,10 spline discovery 1 and range rover classic diffs drop straight into a rover axle casing, and work perfect with your existing half shafts, it's only if you got the later 24 spline diffs which won't fit, the only downside is they don't have a diff filler plug so you either have to carefully drill and tap the diff or axle casing allowing you to fill with oil, or you can remove one half shaft with one side of the axle jacked up, and pour the correct amount down the axle tube, but it makes checking the level a pain!

GlenAnderson

I just put a crownwheel and pinion from a 110 Salisbury into mine. It wasn't difficult to follow the directions in the green bible.

whitehillbilly64

Good afternoon from Aus.
Thought I should add some pics of the Young bloke repairing the bulkhead on his 1964? 2a 109 Trayback.
It has a Holden motor fitted.
Rust being cut out, panels made, bent up and welded in.
His welding is better than mine now.  :thud
Will do a rebuilt thread as more progress is made.

whitehillbilly

Serious Series

That cutting disc is past it's best and he seems to have lost the guard of his grinder , great tool but needs to take care at his age. Repairs are looking good.

Jeff

Hauling a trailer load of bark/wood clippings/mulch for the garden, from the timber yard nearby.
Jeff

1971 Series 2a
ex Defender Td5
Ex Defender 300 Tdi
Ex D4
Ex D3
Ex 1969 Series 2a

Dsherriff

Finally manged to remove the speedo gear that was fitted backwards. Took about 2 weeks of evenings, alot of expletives and the occasional tantrum.

Ended up cutting it down on 2 sides and it eventually gave up.

All back together now with a new speedo gear correctly installed and output shaft oil seal - which started this whole journey.

Front output oil seal has a small leak, should I do that now whilst the trans is empty?You cannot view this attachment.

Alan Drover

I had to use the wipers today and the driver's side one started to fall apart. Fortunately back home I had a spare pair so I replaced both sides. They don't last very long nowadays.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

RATA1

Fixed the oil leak on the OD mating. Not sure if it was the bolts slightly too long or the debris I found embedded in the gasket.

Then fitted a battery disconnect thing on the battery post and fitted a new electronic rectifier from CDRC. Works as advertised and the moulding/internals are top quality. Also cleaned up the electrical connections on the dynamo. Might get some uninsulated ferrules for the wires to make it look nicer.

Decided to keep it +ve earth and on a dynamo. For now.

Then went out for a quick spin round the local lanes and picked up a drain pan from Toolstation on the way home.

Might need to fettle the clutch adjustment later as well.
S2 88
D4 XXV

Adam1958

Drove up to Bibury Classic motor hub for their sundowner meet. Some amazing machines.
Also enjoyed not jumping out of 3rd with the fixed gearbox.

Seanlandy

Painted the new patches on the chassis in red oxide and bought a 1952 Fergie T20, as you do.

nathanglasgow

Biblical wind and rain for the last 5 nights on Skye. Multiple poorly erected tents wrecked every night. Surprisingly dry in the camper bed tho which is good as that would have been a show stopper for other half.

nathanglasgow

g6anz

Spent a happy few hours replacing the pinion oil seal on the rear axle. Although it's a late 2A the oil seal is the same as on a series 3. Much easier to replace. I had to make a tool to lock the input so the nut could be undone without putting strain on the gear teeth.
No Worries mate

Peter Holden

diffwhine

I'll trump you both... I've got the factory original special tool. Had it from new 30 years ago and it's still as good as new!
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon