What you did with your Series 2 in August

Started by Wittsend, Aug 01, 2024, 01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Drover

Thanks Wittsend. I was going to post about electronic stabilisers but I needn't bother now.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

RATA1

Quote from: RATA1 on Aug 11, 2024, 06:43 PMNothing fell off

Actually, something did fall off. Lost a bolt that I left finger tight on the horizontal bit that fits above the door.

My daughter who was in the car at the time with me, mentioned that she heard something drop in the car (which was the washer and nut). Went back to the stretch of road to have a look in the vain hope it was visible or still there. Nope.

Can't see it listed in my parts book and it looks a special type with a domed and flat head.

Obviously I can put any old bolt in but I'd like the original type.

Anyone got one they want to part with or know where I can get one from?
Thanks
S2 88
D4 XXV

RATA1

OK. So I think I should buy a lottery ticket...

I was looking at the side where the bolt was lost wondering if it may have dropped in the tub or behind the seat...

I'm going to have a beer!
S2 88
D4 XXV

diffwhine

I had a similar issue on a 90 I rebuilt a few weeks ago. I left one nut off the lower trailing arm to axle fixing because there was an axle stand in the way. I put the new nut on the spring base plate on the axle to remind me.

I forgot... I drove all the way to the MOT station (probably a good 5 or 6 miles) whereupon the tester pointed out that there was a nut missing and that the trailing arm bolt was half out and that I could have lost the back axle. The nut however, despite all that banging and bouncing, was still on the spring base plate on the axle.  I knocked the bolt back in, popped it on and all was well. How did that nut stay on there for that distance?

Anyway - it just proves that you should never mark your own homework if nothing else.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

David Allcutt

:RHD, Land rover taken out of garage for first time in 2 months. I had unplanned confinement to barracks after a stroke from which I am recovering well. Started first time and ticked over nicely. Short trip to ensure all bits lubricated and brakes working. Regret cant make the Clubs Annual meet.Maybe next year.

diffwhine

Looks great David!
Sorry to hear you have been unwell, but glad to hear you are on the mend. Getting over for next year's Rally would be probably easier for you than many of us down in the south of England. The overnight Dublin Liverpool ferry gets you in nice and early - plenty of time to trundle up to the Lake District and join us.
Brought back a few memories seeing a Series 2 on Irish plates. As a Wicklow man myself, I miss our old farm 88" from my childhood. Sadly long gone to the great LR graveyard in the sky I expect.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

RATA1

Replaced the fuel filler pipe as the old one was leaking (since I got it) and made the garage smell.
A right pain in the bum to do. Lots of lube on the pipe and tank dropped. Several hours later and all done.
Got the pipe from Blanchards but it wasn't the same shape as the one I took off and not very pliable at all!
S2 88
D4 XXV

Gritstoner

Fitted my canvas door card, ran out of time before the rally.  Quite pleased with it.

simonbav

I started by wiring in a towing socket in the PTO hole, then moved on to fit the steering wheel. I scratched my head a few times as the horn went off every time I put it on until I cottoned on that the pinch bolt held it 1/8" or so off bottoming out. The hoot sounds quite cartoon-esque.

I fitted the tank in place and the new sender wire and made a couple of aluminium captive nut baskets and some hefty 5/16" UNF square nuts to hold the driver's seat box panel in place. Three of the originals were u/s.
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Dsherriff

Took Lambert on a 20 mile round trip to knigston lacy after the speedo gear debacle. Speedo now works and was running smoothly until we were round the corner from home where he kindly broke down.

Phil2014

Had a cracking day at The Cumbria Classic & Motorsport show at Dalemain in Cumbria with Borders, North East and North West area club members. Thank you to all who came along.
Phil.
Borders area rep.

island dormy

Replaced the original 62 year old hydraulic brake light switch (not bad 62 years) the new one will likely fail shortly.

Victor

* Note no brake bleeding is necessary just unscrew it and screw the new one in immediately*.
1962 Dormobile in the family since 1964
1969 NADA Dormobile 2.6L #800 out of 811 NADAS built

Larry S

Long story short, Grover's been having issues for the past couple of months, and it came to a head last Saturday morning.  He started up perfectly that morning and purred like a kitten before heading out for the day.  The first stop sign was about 1/4 of a mile away, and when I stopped, he died.  He would not start.  A gent behind helped push Grover onto the side street.  Eventually, I got him running again, but he'd die each time I stopped. 

Once he was back in the shop and the engine off, the engine was actually making a sound, as if it were sighing.

As to the carb... I manipulated the linkage, and it sounded like a weak toilet flushing. 

I wasn't able to get back to the shop until today, and the father-in-law came back to lend a hand; figured we'd run a compression test as well.  We know the engine is going to need a rebore and thought we'd compare the results.  The time is getting closer. 

While we were at it, we checked the tappets. They were surprisingly decent, considering they hadn't been checked in well over a year.

As to the carb... it wasn't needing an adjustment like I thought and hoped. It appears that the float is either stuck or has developed a pinhole.  The carb was so full of gas that we had to siphon it out.  So, it looks like there's a carb rebuild in my future.
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Andrew

I filled the rear tub to the brim with vintage and modern woodworking gear last night. Got to cycle home now, pack clothes, buy food, then potter up the A82 to Bridge of Orchy for a woodworking/maintenance weekend. I get to do a teensy bit of greenlaning for the last bit, but seeing as everyone else will be in their normal road cars, I can't claim it'll be excitingly bumpy or muddy.
Andrew

Alan Drover

I made a better connection for the vacuum gauge at the manifold end with a couple of jubilee clips. It's still temporary but better than previous.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"