What you did with your Series 2 in August

Started by Wittsend, Aug 01, 2024, 01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simonbav

A nice little Milliput repair to my fuse holder and a coat of ZG90 black on the regulator/fuse plate. I might have it running tomorrow
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Phil2014

Drove home from the club rally. 281 miles door to door, took exactly 7 hours, including an approximate 1 hr delay due to a car fire by the side of the A17.
Phil.
Borders area rep.

simonbav

I fitted the headlight dipswitch and cut a rubber door mat to fit the driver's floor. I fitted the fuse panel and fuse and it cranks over and has lighting, charging and mixture lights circuits working. That's good enough for tonight.

autorover1

For info this is an original S2/3  LR link mat in my S1.

simonbav

Thanks Auto. Not a bad match. I ordered link matting of custom size for both sides but the warehouse was out of stock with no plans to restock so this was a far cheaper available alternative.

simonbav

My old Land Rover was a garage tow truck in Birmingham for the first period (16 years or so IIRC)  of its existence and has acquired a few foibles and different parts that I like. Its rear lights are those of a Hillman Imp, slightly larger than standard, and its starter button is a pull rather than a push.

Anyway, it's not had a knob for all the time I've owned it and just pulling a 3mm rod in winter with wet and frozen fingertips has not always been easy, so I rummaged through my grandfather's collection of oddments he kept and found a bakelite knob, possibly from a radio or camping stove which, with the addition of a smoothed Milliput blob, makes a very comfortable starter "pull"  :RHD  :cheers-man

Old Hywel

If cutting a doormat to fit, it's best to have the strips running fore and aft (as Simonbav)
The other way, your heel is more likely to jam in the slots and wedge against a pedal.

simonbav

That's a good point OH, thanks.

It's just occurred to me that I could spend a goodly hour rethreading the links into the fore and aft pattern to suit the current length and width dimension.  :cheers-man

Alan Drover

With the new radiator cap fitted I checked the cooling system for leaks and the operation of the Kenlowe fan. With the hand throttle on the 3rd notch the temperature gauge needle was just below the red sector when the fan cut in. No leaks but the hoses and antifreeze will be replaced when the bolts are sorted.
With the engine switched off the fan cut in again which is normal but didn't stay on for long.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

GlenAnderson

Got home yesterday with no bother from the Land-Rover (shame the same couldn't be said of the traffic on the M25).

All in all we did 1,393 miles in the seven days we were away, over the course of five days of driving. Cruising speed of 60 mph on the motorways. Overall avarage fuel consumption for the trip was 35.8mpg; very pleased with that.

simonbav

Quote from: GlenAnderson on Aug 13, 2024, 05:04 PMGot home yesterday with no bother from the Land-Rover (shame the same couldn't be said of the traffic on the M25).

All in all we did 1,393 miles in the seven days we were away, over the course of five days of driving. Cruising speed of 60 mph on the motorways. Overall avarage fuel consumption for the trip was 35.8mpg; very pleased with that.

Is that a Tdi, Glen?

GlenAnderson

Quote from: simonbav on Aug 13, 2024, 08:11 PMIs that a Tdi, Glen?

Yes mate.

200tdi, with turbo and intercooler, 3.54 diffs, roverdrive and 225/85 road oriented radial tyres.

Although I was deliberately taking things steady on the motorway, cruising at 60, I was not babying it on the A-roads at all.

simonbav

Quote from: GlenAnderson on Aug 13, 2024, 09:05 PM
Quote from: simonbav on Aug 13, 2024, 08:11 PMIs that a Tdi, Glen?

Yes mate.

200tdi, with turbo and intercooler, 3.54 diffs, roverdrive and 225/85 road oriented radial tyres.

Although I was deliberately taking things steady on the motorway, cruising at 60, I was not babying it on the A-roads at all.

Nice. I have a 200 to put in my 109, and D1 diffs too if they'd be a benefit. Ah, but actually the 109 has a Salisbury rear axle and I'm not sure if a D1 diff would go in it. Do you know?

GlenAnderson

You don't need to change the gearing, but you won't see those kind of economy figures if you don't.

Alan Drover

To fit a D1 diff you'd have to change the complete rear axle. A Salisbury diff is much stronger than the Rover one but difficult to replace the pinion seal as special tools are needed to set the preload. You can't just tighten the nut.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"