News:

... and the sky is grey

Main Menu

Slightly OT, breakdown cover

Started by Series2ajosh, Aug 05, 2024, 09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Series2ajosh

Evening all! As per the title, I've just had my renewal come through for breakdown with the RAC, surprise surprise it's gone up by a huge amount, so looking to shop elsewhere this year, previously I've been with the AA and RAC, neither company has ever left me stranded but I've had some extortionate wait times in busier periods, and looking at trying someone different this time around, LV britannia rescue have caught my eye, along with green flag, has anyone used either company and what were your thoughts with the companies?

My 2a is currently under restoration so I'll be covering my range rover classic until the restoration is complete, it's still an old car in their eyes and I know some breakdown firms shy away from anything over 15 years old!

Thanks again, Josh

Clifford Pope

My classic insurance multi-policy with Peter James has breakdown cover included. £130 pa for two vehicles.

Gareth

I get breakdown cover as a side benefit of my bank account with RBS. It's with the AA. I had to use it last Christmas when the wife's VW Up! broke down. No complaints. The account costs about £320 per year, but I get mobile phone (2 phones) worldwide 5 star travel, and AA breakdown, along with lounge access at airports.

Alan Drover

Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Theshed

I normally flip flop between RAC/AA playing one off against the other to get best price.
My 'Daily' Mondeo is 25 years old and many of the other Breakdown companies charge extra for this. Family cover with AA/RAC is also works out cheaper.
Series is covered with Hagerty as standard.

Wittsend

I'm with the CSMA (Civil Service Motoring Association).

Through them I get a discount with LV insurance and with Britannia Rescue  :gold-cup

@ weeks ago I had cause to call Britannia Rescue. On its journey from N. Yorkshire to home my new Rover P4 110 sprang a water leak near York, on the A64.

It took 3 hrs for a recovery truck to reach me as we were in a safe place with no issues. Very hot day and the traffic round York gridlocked as usual. I got recovered home in 3 stages. All well managed by the Britannia Rescue centre, keeping me informed at all stages.

I saved a fortune in petrol  :cool

We've used Britannia Rescue a few times over the years and can't fault their service  :gold-cup

LowOil

I had an issue with our Zafira on a Bank holiday weekend - knocking from front after coming off motorway (100 miles done), checked, couldn't pin it down. Limped into Edinburgh and called Green Flag, young lad comes out - checks it over, couldn't find an issue, "we have relay cover" - "No chance on a Bank Holiday weekend" says he.
While he had it jacked up I checked myself - loose wheel nuts, borrowed his wheelbrace.
Zafira has no spare, no tools, no jack, now carries a wheelbrace at least.

w3526602

Hi,

A few years ago, on the M4, Barbara's SAAB was sideswiped by an "undertaking" HGV. (50mph limit due to roadworks, so OK by the Highway Code).

She turned round and headed for home. She noticed a police car on it's elevated platform, so pulled in for advice.

Plod (affectionate term) said she could go no further, as the damage had "taken out" her headlamps. It was still dark.

RECOVERY arrived only 20 minutes later.

Plod uttered a "mighty oath".

Theshed

Probably mentioned this before, but my longest ever wait was for the RAC. On the M6 within site of their Control Centre !

Countryview

I haven't fond memories of the RAC either. Whilst waiting for their attendance for over six hours during a week day in spring, one of their vans was sitting in the supermarket car park within view for over an hour. With the AA now.
1959 88" Series 2

DogDave

Full disclosure- I drive breakdown trucks for a job these days.

Honestly I don't think much to choose between other than the level and type of cover. Some are the person, some are the car, and which is best depends on your own circumstances. Likewise whether you just want roadside cover or things like relay to any destination, home start assistance etc. it's a bit like insurance- the devil in the small print and the cheapest is often only a bargain till you need to claim. You do not want to be that customer that only has cover to the nearest garage or 15 miles max when breaking down a hundred miles from home.

Response times are a bit of lottery as everyone has a finite amount of trucks, sometimes they are near you and sometimes not - my best is under 10 mins as someone called in a breakdown just around the corner from a job I was finishing, just pure good luck.

w3526602

Hi,

I have heard it suggested that the "big" recovery firms prefer to use their own trucks, rather than hand the job over to independent garages.

True?

Dunno!

I've also heard of rescue drivers being diverted, when passing a "maverick" broken-down driver waving £5 or even £10 notes.

DogDave

Quote from: w3526602 on Aug 08, 2024, 05:58 AMHi,

I have heard it suggested that the "big" recovery firms prefer to use their own trucks, rather than hand the job over to independent garages.

True?

Dunno!

I've also heard of rescue drivers being diverted, when passing a "maverick" broken-down driver waving £5 or even £10 notes.

Of course the big firms (AA, RAC etc) start with their own resources and use independents to pick up where they don't have capacity- makes sense from a business point of view. Some of the breakdown cover you can buy as part of car insurance/ comes with a new car etc is with companies that have no trucks and 100% is passed out to independents.

I wouldn't risk the sack for a fiver, yet to see anyone broken down waving notes at the side of the road but modern vehicles have trackers and control rooms watching for arrival times, so it probably something that happened once upon a time if ever.

Some firms will stop at the side of the road and offer recovery for a price if they are empty however.

Theshed

A recovery Driver did stop to assist when I was A-framing my '66 SWB project back home some time back.
I should have checked but PO had undone axle U bolts !
Recovery Driver was Series Owner  :cheers

Gareth

The cover I get with the bank account has changed from RAC to AA. I've called the AA recently and all was good.

When it was RAC I had to call them when my 109 lost its fan belt. It took about an hour for them to come, and the chap then spent 10 minutes rooting around in his van, and came up with a fan belt that fitted! He was really happy that he had helped someone without having to plug his computer in!