News:

... and the sky is grey

Main Menu

Quiz - Some Land Rover content

Started by jonhutchings, Aug 08, 2024, 04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exile

Quote from: jonhutchings on Aug 09, 2024, 11:36 AMIt's a Stanhay apple box transporter, built by the Stanhay company of Elwick Works Ashford Kent (from the builders plate on the side) - built in 1967/8. It wasn't clear that they actually built more than two  but perhaps they did if others can remember them. I believe two still  exist

And you now know where it spent its working life.

diffwhine

If built in 1967 / 1968, that's quite early in 6 pot years. I think it may have been cheaper to buy a complete 6 pot commercial 109 and then use the parts. Selling the rest of the panels and stuff would have been quite lucrative.

That said, apart from the One Ton version, which would have been expensive then, I wonder if LR just supplied them with a rolling chassis or chassis cab (export spec).
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Craig T

Have to wonder why they chose to use the 6 cylinder and not a more common 2286 Diesel.

Craig.

Exile

They must have needed all the power they could get, as farm diesel would have been far cheaper to run than the 6-pot, as petrol carried tax at the time.

I does make me wonder why they didn't use one of the tractor diesel engines that were ubiquitous at the time.