News:

... and the sky is grey

Main Menu

Quiz - Some Land Rover content

Started by jonhutchings, Aug 08, 2024, 04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonhutchings

A little thursday afternoon quiz, who knows what this was for ? It's not homebuilt, was made by a company in kent and contains a fair bit of Land Rover content (2.6 6 cylinder and gearbox, rear axle, lwb fuel tank, dashboard gauges etc.

I'll reveal all if no one gets it

Tom

Is/was it for clearing waterways? I notice all the running gear is up high, including the axles so makes me think its for water related work.

Or a ferry tractor for towing a passenger ferry to a beach?

How many guesses can we have?

jonhutchings

Tom,

No, neither of those. If it helps the whole vehicle can raise up  and travel , it was in the down position in the photos.

Have as many guesses as you like / until someone gets it or we all get bored and I tell you :)

simonbav

Would it pick up and carry some sort of long heavyweight goods Jon?

My initial thought was lengths of rail but I'm thinking something containerised now from the roller at the front.
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Exile

For picking up/collecting boxes of apples.

island dormy

1962 Dormobile in the family since 1964
1969 NADA Dormobile 2.6L #800 out of 811 NADAS built

Archie

I know exactly what that is.

It's a thingmy for doing the wotsit with the whatsitsname. 🤔

Next question please!
Archie

diffwhine

I tried to be clever and do a Google Image search. I failed dismally.  :thud

I'm intrigued!
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Old Hywel

diffwhine

Inclined to agree. Kent - fruit, hops?

Exile

Quote from: diffwhine on Aug 09, 2024, 08:16 AMInclined to agree. Kent - fruit, hops?

Essex.  Near Colchester.

Big farm sale where a very large apple farming business (Wheldons) with extensive acres of orchards , was closing down.

Lots of interesting (and old) kit, including I think an old Land Rover - which is possibly why I was there.

I seem to remember three or four of these old machines lined up.

I took an interest because of the clearly ex-Land Rover parts they incorporated.

I thought they would go for scrap, as they were large, cumbersome, rusty and redundant.

If this is indeed what this one is, then I am glad someone had the foresight to rescue it, load it up and carry it away.

And then take it to Shows.

Kudos to that person.

(Of course, if I am wrong, please put it down to advancing years, and memory loss! :thud  )

jonhutchings

Quote from: Exile on Aug 08, 2024, 05:40 PMFor picking up/collecting boxes of apples.

Correct!

You win (er nothing) except the admiration of fellow members

diffwhine

And it just goes to show that the interwebby is not the answer to everything!

jonhutchings

It's a Stanhay apple box transporter, built by the Stanhay company of Elwick Works Ashford Kent (from the builders plate on the side) - built in 1967/8. It wasn't clear that they actually built more than two  but perhaps they did if others can remember them. I believe two still  exist

Stanhay founded 1854 as a company are still going continuing to make seed drilling equipment. In the past they made all sorts of stuff including mobile cranes.

Craig T

So they probably bought the Land Rover parts as spares directly from Land Rover rather than use old, used, second hand parts. Wonder if the engine had an engine number?

Interesting machine though.

Craig.