News:

... and the sky is grey

Main Menu

INSURANCE (I think) ADVERT. Who? What? Where?

Started by w3526602, Aug 09, 2024, 10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

w3526602

Hi,

I think I have already mentioned my "parked at kerb" Hyundai being sideswiped while parked at kerb. Didn't stop. Circa 1500 miles from new.

My failing memory suggests that a TV advert by an insurance company says they do not cancel your NCB if the other driver did not stop.

I suspect that the other driver lives at the "deep end" of my daughter's cul-de-sac, so probably not a good idea to go knocking on doors. I cannot identify make nor model, nor colour, of the other car.

Car has  been collected, and courtesy car delivered ... a rather unpleasant Toyota Aygo, which seems to run on liquid fuel, and will need topping up soon, which will hit me in my knees, at refuelling time (soon). I have not yet dragged myself into the 20th century, so do not relish walking to the cash desk. As I do not know when I will get my own car back, I do not want to pump in more fuel than I might need. (Memory from the 1950s, when young damsels used to sell you one gallon at a time, and wipe your windscreen. At one particular garage in Croydon, on rainy days, the young lady attendants would be wearing bikinis. Four star petrol was four shillings (£0.20p) per gallon. It seemed only fair to give them two half-crowns, tell them to keep the change.

My damage seems to be limited to the big black plastic "bumper", they tell me

Wittsend

I wouldn't argue over a few litres of petrol, one way or the  other.

Most petrol stations have at least one pump with a pay at the pump or in the kiosk. The pay at a the pump works well for me. But I prefer to go in the kiosk as it gives someone a job.
Some garages have an "assistance" button where a minion will come out and help you.

w3526602

Hi Alan,

You might not argue about a couple of litres, but I bet a garage would.

Way back when (early 1960s), my father heard the driver at the next pump distictly ask for four gallons ... but swear he had asked for one gallon.

The attendant shrugged his shoulders, went round the back of the kiosk, and returned with a pump on wheels, and sucked the four gallons out again.   :cheers-man .

w3526602

Hi,

I mentioned a Toyota courtesy car, which is still sitting in my drive.

I've done a Registration Check ... Number not recognised. Front plate looks brand new, but the rear plate is a smidgen "lived in".

Comments?

Wittsend

You can't do that today. Modern cars have an anti-syphon and filler valve arrangement to prevent theft of fuel and fuel spillage if the car overturns.

The only way is to pierce the plastic fuel tank with a screw driver - but that ruins the tank  :thud

The old days are the old days - it's a brave new world these days.... :cookoo

Wittsend

Quote from: w3526602 on Aug 11, 2024, 05:17 PMHi,

I mentioned a Toyota courtesy car, which is still sitting in my drive.

I've done a Registration Check ... Number not recognised. Front plate looks brand new, but the rear plate is a smidgen "lived in".

Comments?

Keep on driving ... not your problem  :RHD

Helps if the front & rear plate numbers match.