News:

... and the sky is grey

Main Menu

Painting engine bay components

Started by H2, Aug 23, 2024, 03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H2

Good afternoon,

What paint have people used that has worked well for engine bay components?

Nothing on the engine, things like the air filter and battery housing.

I've taken them out and gotten any bits of rust out.

But I'm looking for a hard wearing black paint. I'm thinking of using hammerite satin atm?

Thanks

geoff

Brush or spray ??

The blacks should all be full gloss   :RHD

H2

Wittsend

I use the Autotek range of spray (rattle can) paints.

They do both gloss & satin black.

Bought off ebay in packs of 4 or 6 cans these are cheaper than Hammerite  :gold-cup

H2

Great! I'll give them a go.

Thanks

Serious Series

Modern Hammerite is now known as hammershite as they make it without all the good chemicals it used to have so that is better for the enviroment.

geoff

Simoniz Tough Paint is also good but does ( like all blacks especially ) benefit from an undercoat  :cheers-man

Again, aerosols on eBay  :cheers

diffwhine

^^^ 100% agree with you Serious Series... I repainted the door fittings on my mother's front door two years ago using modern Hammerite. She lives by the sea in North Devon so not the best place to stop rust. The whole lot has to come off and be redone. Not impressed with Hammerite at all anymore.

For gloss black components, I usually start with a spray etch prime and then a topcoat of enamel from Paragon Paints. Good coverage and a lovely deep black. Takes time to dry, so not a solution if in a rush.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

GlenAnderson

HardHat is a good, durable spray finish. It's my go-to for stuff that I consider important. Stuff that isn't quite so vital I use either the AutoTek stuff or Aldi/Lidl's finest.

Ken

I was able to make a comparison between original hammerite and the modern stuff after I found I had an unopened 2 1/2 litre can of smooth made by the original manufacturer which had been under the bench 24 years.
The difference is night and day, the modern being awful stuff.
Looking around for something else I thought  the chandlers down here might have paint for boats that would be suitable. It has to be tough in their environment.
I bought a paint called teamac and have been pleased with it. It applies very well and produces a high gloss. Like hammerite brushes cannot be cleaned in white spirit,  Hopefully durability is good also.

BradfordS2

I've been using Smith and Allen's 'Tractol' enamel. Lovely finish and seems tough enough.

diffwhine

1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

BradfordS2

Quote from: diffwhine on Aug 23, 2024, 07:29 PMIs that aerosol or brush?

All the smaller parts are aerosol. The chassis and axles are painted in the same stuff but brushed. It flats out quite nicely!

whitehillbilly64

Our elderly neighbour, when I was Living in Cornwall had an amazingly painted house.
I asked him one day if he had sprayed everything because of the finish?
No he replied, but I was a hand painter for Rolls Royce in my younger days.

whitehillbilly

H2

@BradfordS2 That's looking great!

What paint was used for the water pump / fan?

Do people paint their exhaust manifolds? I'm thinking about taking it off and removing the rust with a wire brush / converting solution, and then repainting.