News:

... and the sky is grey

Main Menu

OT Smiths Speedo

Started by biloxi, Aug 25, 2024, 10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biloxi

Does anybody know which car/model would originally have been fitted with this Smiths SN 6122/10, 1376 TPM speedo ? Thank you
.W.

Alan Drover

I've got a couple of 1376 tpm speedometers but they go up to 90 and I think they are for the Stage 1 V8 although one was sent when I ordered a 1408. Don't suppose 32 tpm less makes a great deal of difference. It may even make the speedometer read more correctly.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

LowOil

ChatGPT, if we believe it says this:
Vehicles that used the SN6122/10 Speedometer:
"Triumph Spitfire Mk I and Mk II:
The Triumph Spitfire Mk I (1962-1964) and Mk II (1964-1967) are among the most notable vehicles that used the SN6122/10 speedometer. These early models of the Spitfire, a popular British roadster, were equipped with this particular Smiths speedometer.
The SN6122/10 speedometer, like others in the SN series, was designed to be compatible with the performance and aesthetics of these small, sporty cars. It typically featured a range from 0 to 110 mph, along with indicator lights for turn signals, main beam, and ignition, providing essential information to the driver in a clear and classic design.

However - the orange needle looks more Triumph 2000ish and generally, the green light is for oil warning, not turning. Australian variant?

biloxi

Thank you for your information. The speedo was in a S1 LWB truck cab with 235/85 tyres I bought 24 years ago. The turning circle was
just slightly better than that of Campbell's Bluebird. The speedo was modified so that the speed could be read in Km/h on the big (M/h) dial.
Soon after, I replaced the tyres with smaller ones and managed to get hold of a Land Rover Jaeger 940 TPK speedo with trip meter.
.W.

diffwhine

Are you suggesting that 107s have a bad turning circle? I think you are doing Bluebird an injustice there. The turning circle on my 107 Station Wagon would be comparable to that of the USS Gerald R. Ford...
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Peter Holden

Our S1 107 has the turning circle of a barge.

It could be improved by swapping the wheels from a S2 109 where the deep offset is on the outside but my nephew wants to keep it original

Peter

w3526602

Hi Peter,

So fit the wheels that you want..... let your nephew buy what he wants (and let him store them until he inherits ... ????)

Genocache

Quote from: diffwhine on Aug 26, 2024, 02:36 PMAre you suggesting that 107s have a bad turning circle? I think you are doing Bluebird an injustice there. The turning circle on my 107 Station Wagon would be comparable to that of the USS Gerald R. Ford...

Mark,

I served on the USS Enterprise, do not dis the turning circle of those carriers! You would be frelling amazed what they can do. Now my 109 on the other hand...........though the power steering conversion helps with the quickness and physical effort. :cheers-man