News:

... and the sky is grey

Main Menu

Source of period number plates

Started by 582LTR, Aug 25, 2024, 02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

582LTR

Good afternoon, can anyone recommend a good source for period number plates please.

Regards

James

w3526602

Hi,

Google PERIOD NUMBER PLATES UK.

simon1959

I got mine from Jepsons in Sheffield. Very helpful. This is the chap I dealt with. It was a few years ago. They get a thumbs up from me.

[email protected]

GlenAnderson

582LTR

Thank you for the suggestions of companies. Jepsons, and possibly the other offer bordered and border less plates. Would a 58MY normally have a border?

Thanks

James

simon1959

Here is a picture of mine if that helps.

It fitted the existing holes for the old number plate, so I went with that size. I do think a smaller plate might look better. Scrolling through some photo's to find one of the plates, I spotted this one which has the numbers fastened onto the plate rather than stamped. I wish I'd gone for that style at the time. Probably came down to the price being too high, so I ended up with the plate I have, which was £30 delivered.

Wittsend

Classic number plate suppliers:-

Chestnut Registrations  :gold-cup
The one I use.

or Framptons Number Plates

or Jesops

or Tippers

or recommended by Glen
Classic Plates Online

:teacher
Remember ... who ever you deal with will want to see all your documents, inc. grandmother's birth certificate and you leave an arm & a leg as deposit  ;)
Show plate makers can often be found at the larger car shows.

All are leading suppliers of classic car number plates.

:RHD

Alan Drover

I just went to a nearby motor factor for my black and silver plates. They had to send away for them but I showed the relevant documents and their computer confirmed with the DVLA that black and silver plates were permissable and a few days later they arrived. From memory they are exactly the same design as those that were on my 1955 Morris Oxford with a border.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

GlenAnderson

If you want the raised white letter type plate I have used Polar Automotive a number of times over the years. They are available to order online at: https://www.classicplatesonline.co.uk/

You cannot view this attachment.

This was the day that I fitted it. The bright white does dull down quite quickly.

s2c-08616

I always thought that 'old' number plates, pre 72?, were silver and gloss black. Seemingly not!
So, what would the correct plate be for my 1964?
Jessie - 1964 SWB 2A.

Wittsend

You have a choice ....

Silver on black
or
White on black
???

... both equally "correct" for a Series Land Rover of the period.

... and if you are feeling really perverse, you could fit the "new fangled" reflective plates, quite a few owners did to make their vehicles look newer  :shakinghead

diffwhine

My 1965 SW has what look like milled plate letters. The rear is flat, so they are not stamped or pressed. The front letter edges are very sharp. I know they are original. I would have thought they would have been expensive to make.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Phil2014

My 1960 109 has similar to Diffwhine's, quite thick aluminium plate that doesn't look to be stamped, I'm guessing they are original, certainly been on there since at least 1968.
Phil.
Borders area rep.

diffwhine

The only pic I can find of my plates:
You cannot view this attachment.

Definitely not stamped as far as I can see.

If anybody can confirm how they were actually be made, in true Dull Men's Club style, I'd be interested to know.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

jonhutchings

likewise  I'd be interested too as my Somerset registered series 1 88 from 1958 has the same, the plates are much heavier than a press aluminium plate would be. I know the history of the land rover since new so am very sure these are the original plates (the first own kept it until he died in the early 2000's sadly it was rotting in a field for much of that time)

Always seemed a really expensive way to make number plates for a mundane vehicle.