Anybody got a machete in their tool kit for green laning?

Started by diffwhine, Aug 26, 2024, 09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diffwhine

I had an interesting discussion with a local policeman this afternoon about the imminent "Zombie Knife" ban which comes into force in late September. For years, I've kept a machete in the backs of Land Rovers in my recovery kit. Its a throwback from multiple African expeditions where having a machete is a life saver for chopping firewood, clearing a path through bush and so on.

What I had not realised is that in late September, even having one of these in a drawer in the house will be illegal and the potential risk is up to 4 years at His Majesty's Pleasure!

So I did a stock take and found this little collection of joy:

You cannot view this attachment.

The one at the top was hand made by a chap in a remote village in the Philippines, the others are all typical machetes (I note all made in England...), but sadly, apparently all will be illegal soon so have to go.

Just thought I'd flag it up as I bet I'm not the only one who has until now had a legitimate use for these things, but alas no longer allowed. I wasn't even aware of the law change until I spoke to this policeman who happened to be coordinating the local zombie knife amnesty.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

geoff

gcc130

So you'll be making a trip to the local police station with your tail between your legs!😄
I can safely say I don't carry a zombie knife, but do carry a folding Silky pruning saw in the camper to cut wood for the bbq/firepit.Incredibly sharp and could be classed as a lethal weapon.
In my work 130 there are several folding 'Stanley' knives and as I understand it they should be stored out of reach of the driver.

simonbav

I have a machete that my grandfather brought back with him from Burma. I'd rather take the edge off it than turn it in. As a member of the York Guard we carry non-edged halbards and non-edged swords. I'll do some investigating.
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

Alan Drover

Included in the detritus in the back of my Land Rover is a crowbar. Is that illegal nowadays?
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

diffwhine

Quote from: gcc130 on Aug 26, 2024, 09:15 PMSo you'll be making a trip to the local police station with your tail between your legs!😄

Thought I wouldn't give Wiltshire Police the satisfaction! I'll do it the same way I scrapped firearms in Bosnia - chop them up with an angle grinder and hoof in the scrap bin.

diffwhine

Quote from: Alan Drover on Aug 26, 2024, 09:37 PMIncluded in the detritus in the back of my Land Rover is a crowbar. Is that illegal nowadays?

I doubt it. The Zombie Knives law is quite specific. There are other laws about carrying weapons or equipped to carry out a crime. The question is - can you justify carrying a crow bar in your Land Rover? If not, it might be worth rethinking that one. You could be accused of "going equipped"! Somehow though I don't see you as a prolific housebreaker.

Alan Drover

You've got until Monday 23/9/24 to hand them in. After that,,,,,
The crowbar has been there for decades and I don't know why I put it there originally.  More than likely I used it when helping my mate on his game farm dismantling pheasant pens. I'll put it in the garage.
I suppose the wheelbrace could be considered an offensive weapon nowadays!
"Ça plane pour moi!"

simonbav

1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

diffwhine

I see different definitions all over the place!

I think I'll go and have a chat with Plod tomorrow, because I use my machetes quite a lot in the garden and in lanes. If I can keep at least one, I'd like to.

Wittsend

I'll stick with my chain saw ...

diffwhine

I'm pretty sure that mine are not covered by this despite what plod said today...

https://basc.org.uk/new-legislation-on-zombie-style-knives-and-machetes-what-you-need-to-know/

Makes you wonder if our illustrious police service actually knows what the law is...

Alan Drover

Quote from: diffwhine on Aug 26, 2024, 09:40 PM
Quote from: Alan Drover on Aug 26, 2024, 09:37 PMIncluded in the detritus in the back of my Land Rover is a crowbar. Is that illegal nowadays?
Somehow though I don't see you as a prolific housebreaker.
Thanks Diffwhine.
"Ça plane pour moi!"

biloxi

I've got a couple permanently living in my 80".
.W.