News:

... and the sky is grey

Main Menu

What wheels would suit?

Started by Seanlandy, Aug 28, 2024, 09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seanlandy

I know it's nearly the end of the summer, but I am hopefully going to resume getting and sorting bits for my 2a LW. At the moment it has these wheels and tyres(see photos) with the huge offset and mad tyres sized at 235/85 16s Insas. I was wondering what should I be looking for in terms of wheels and whether or not these tyres would then fit, not withstanding the fact the previous owner has had to move the bumper forward (or is that because of the offset?). If I would need to change the tyres too, then it would probably make sense to sell/swap these to get what I need and head off to the trading post. Any thoughts, please? Thank you.

diffwhine

Are you sure the bumper has been moved forward? It looks roughly in the right place to me.

Those tyres you have are good for general off road use, so I'm sure somebody will either swap or buy them on the rims. The original 2A Lightweight was shod with 6.50 x 16 tyres which is pretty close to 205 x 16 in modern money. You might think it looks a bit spindly on small tyres, but they would be period correct. That said, most got changed for 7.50 x 16 in service.
1965 2A 88" Station Wagon

Seanlandy

Quote from: diffwhine on Aug 28, 2024, 10:02 AMAre you sure the bumper has been moved forward? It looks roughly in the right place to me.

Those tyres you have are good for general off road use, so I'm sure somebody will either swap or buy them on the rims. The original 2A Lightweight was shod with 6.50 x 16 tyres which is pretty close to 205 x 16 in modern money. You might think it looks a bit spindly on small tyres, but they would be period correct. That said, most got changed for 7.50 x 16 in service.
Thanks for that. The holes don't match up for the bumper, as per photo, so I assume the offset wheels and or tyres cause that issue.
If these wont fit the rims I need then 7.50s seems to do a better job of filling the arches especially on the 2a.
What of the wheels I need?

autorover1

569690 were standard on later series 2A/3 for 7.50 x 16 tyres - Not suitable for tubeless . Craddock states that superseded to ANR4636PM

Seanlandy

Seanlandy

Quote from: autorover1 on Aug 28, 2024, 11:02 AM569690 were standard on later series 2A/3 for 7.50 x 16 tyres - Not suitable for tubeless . Craddock states that superseded to ANR4636PM
Thank you. I need to see what is out there I guess. As can be seen from the photos, it is hardly concours, but would be nice to have something a bit more authentic.

Old Hywel

Wheels and tyres going free in 'For Sale' section.

Seanlandy

Thanks. I saw them. Just too far away, but if I can't find closer I may have to go on a road trip.

chipbury

I'm biased...  but I like the Michelin 7.50x16 XZL on a lightweight (photo on grass below).  I used to have Insa Turbo Ranger 205/80x16 (photo on gravel below). 

Seanlandy

Yes, they do look right and fill the arches nicely. Mine are just too big and Tonka toy like. Would have suited my 90.
The 2a is a cool looking beast.