News:

... and the sky is grey

Main Menu

Original Specification / Details

Started by Surveyme, Aug 28, 2024, 05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surveyme

Hi everyone.
With mirrors on the wings is this the original position for them on a Series 2a (1961)?
Or should they be on the bulkhead / doors?
And should they be round or "square"?
Any help gratefully recieved.
KR
Neil

Exile

On the wings and round.

Mirrors moved to doors on late SIII's.

Craig T

I have plastic round ones on the wings of my 1967 vehicle.
Not sure if earlier ones would have had black steel ones or even chrome ones. Wonder if they were something fitted by the dealers rather than the factory?

Craig.

autorover1

In UK mirrors were mandatory  , so in 1961 it would have been two wing mirrors . I seem to remember Station wagons had one wing and one interior as they were passenger vehicles (Cars) .

Exile

One steel wing mirror was fitted as standard at the factory. and an interior mirror in Station Wagons, as Dererk said.

As you will see if you look at the illustrations in the front of an original Manual.

Some late Series Ones, especially diesel, appear to have had chrome mirrors fitted, but it is well known that the Factory would fit just about anything if supplies were short, rather than hold up the production line.

Surveyme

Many thanks to you all for the feedback.

A friend also confirmed round ones on wings recently.

GlenAnderson

Depends though, on whether you actually want to drive it in traffic or not. Mirrors on the doors are way more effective than ones on the wings. In my experience, wing mirrors are only any good for getting caught on branches and wrecking the tops of the wings.

Craig T

I have now managed to get my wing mounted mirrors in a position I'm reasonably happy with them.

I fitted convex mirrors over the top of the original flat glass to give a wider image and after many times jumping in and out the vehicle with a spanner in one hand, I have manged to get them aligned and the results are not too bad.

One important thing I discovered is the movement on the mirror adjusters is quite limited so don't assume the mirror arms should be mounted at 90° to the edge of the wing. I've had to angle the mirror arms slightly back on both side in order to get them properly adjusted.

https://phoenixwingmirrors.co.uk/

If I was driving it as a daily driver however, I would fit the later 90 / 110 style rectangular ones on the doors. They give very good vision.

Craig.