What have you done with your Series 2 today ?

Started by Wittsend, Sep 01, 2024, 07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike T

Found out the hard way, that when my fuel gauge reads empty it is empty. At least I managed to get it just of the main road. At least the garage was not far. It cost more for a gallon of petrol than the petrol container.

Alan Drover

Although I now have a working fuel gauge thanks to Emberton's genuine tank sender unit (after a very long time with rubbish pattern part ones that last for a very short period), I still keep a record of the mileage whenever I refuel to be on the safe side. 100 miles is around 6 gallons depending on usage.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

Noddy

A road test round the block after changing a knackered LT77 for a stumpy R380 curtesy of Ashcroft Engineering. First time on the road for over a year. Maybe the official owner will be able to find reverse with this box.

Alec

Seanlandy

Well, I am still sourcing bits and bobs for my 2a LW and this morning I did a deal on a pair of Wolf door tops ( I know, not strictly original) and some delux seats with all the runners and two of those adjustable, which is something I have none of. Again, I know they should just be the swabs, but at the moment any seats will do and there is the middle one as well. I have seen the runners alone go for a few quid, so think I struck a reasonable, deal. Seats do look quite wide, but will see how they go.
Next on the list is wheels and canvas top, but they can wait for a bit. Need to sell some other bits for funds. lol

Alan Drover

Tyre pressures checked. Only 3 psi needed in each but even with my large Kismet Trolley Compressor that takes a while on 7.50's so I used the twin cylinder T Max compressor connected to my slave battery.
Series 3 Owner but interested in all real Land Rovers.
"Being born was my first big mistake."
"Ça plane pour moi!"

TimV

The red lever buzzes, so I've attached a bungee cord to it - which makes it quieter, but looks untidy.

The spring pn 243714 never seems to stay on, I've even tried tying it on - must be three of these springs I've got through. There has to be a better solution.

Today I took a spare red lever and bracket. The pivot is just a bolt. The hole through the bracket was very worn, so I made a bush on the lathe to fill it, having drilled out the bracket. A slight improvement to the slop on the lever. Not bothered to fit it, have another look tomorrow.

chipbury

Fitted an overhauled carburettor (by Exeter Engineering), idles much better and runs much quieter.  Just got to get some miles on it and see how it performs (hopefully fuel economy will have improved).

Littlelegs

One of the rear tub seat frames was snapped in my 2a. I managed to acquire a pair that needed a clean up for a really good price. They came with splits in the back rests, but I can swap mine over as they've no splits. They're also minus the bottom cushions which isn't an issue as I have these as well. They've cleaned up pretty well so far I think.
1963 Series 2a 88 petrol

simonbav

I took the passenger floor out of the 88 yesterday with a view to re-routing the speedo cable but with the spring steel clips that I had, decided to put it back where it has run for the last 36 years.

With a piece of 3.2mm unequal angle ali I set about repairing the rear of its o/s front wing. I was surprised that the original reinforcing angle was missing (compared to the n/s) which explained the cracks in the bodywork.

I'll bond it up and flush rivet it tomorrow. Painting the rad panel must wait for next weekend!

I don't remember how the bottom edge of the wing became so wavy. I'll anneal and bash it back tomorrow.
1960 88" 2286 petrol truck cab
1971 109" 2286 diesel station wagon

RATA1

Set up the timing. Realising that my strobe light reset so 10° not zero every time it was turned on so I was timing to 16° BTDC. Seems to run a lot better now at 6 not 16...

Fitted a CB antenna for next week. Then fought with high SWR (3!) Before finding an 'earth' it actually liked. Now almost perfect at 1 and a gnat.

Drained oil and replaced filter. Lovely job.
S2 88
D4 XXV

RATA1

Not all 'lovely jobs' are done as a previous oil-tight engine now leaks oil out of the front crank oil seal after the oil change (last night) and the checking for leaks after start up this morning.

Guessing not a 5 minute job to fix that!

Not entirely sure how it can not leak at all, then leak after an oil change with the same grade!
S2 88
D4 XXV

TimV

Quote from: RATA1 on Sep 08, 2024, 11:52 AMNot all 'lovely jobs' are done as a previous oil-tight engine now leaks oil out of the front crank oil seal after the oil change (last night) and the checking for leaks after start up this morning.

Not entirely sure how it can not leak at all, then leak after an oil change with the same grade!

If it isn't the military engine with the deeply recessed front pulley, do you need to borrow a slogging spanner to remove the pulley - I have one I can bring to Cheddar camp? 

Kev

Well yesterday actually.
I collected the wheels for the sprayer from blasting, they did a good job considering the state of the wheels.

I shall be priming them today.👍

RATA1

Quote from: TimV on Sep 08, 2024, 12:43 PM
Quote from: RATA1 on Sep 08, 2024, 11:52 AMNot all 'lovely jobs' are done as a previous oil-tight engine now leaks oil out of the front crank oil seal after the oil change (last night) and the checking for leaks after start up this morning.

If it isn't the military engine with the deeply recessed front pulley, do you need to borrow a slogging spanner to remove the pulley - I have one I can bring to Cheddar camp? 
I am planning/hoping to get it done by then else I'll be coming in the disco.

Reading up it needs the mudshield off then tapped in. I am out at the moment prepping the other series for Cheddar.
My biggest issue is getting the seal.
I have am battery impact gun but likely no socket big enough.

If I need it I may have to collect:)
S2 88
D4 XXV

Dazzerpig

After spending a few hours hear and there unbolting everything and removing the engine i was finally ready to remove the body yesterday,
it fought me all the way but i beat it ha ha, today old chassis out and new one on, rear tub, bulkhead and doors all back on and the rest to do when i find the time.this is one off the MAER chassis and i'm pleased to say that every thing lined up spot on, quite impressed.